Studded Tires?

Studded tires for winter driving in Ronan, MT area

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlaskaHunter

We are moving to Ronan, MT for the winter.

Does a 4X4 F150 with all terrain tires need studded tires for the winter?

I ask because in Fairbanks, AK I would say no as everyone uses nonstudded tires like Blizzaks,
while in Anchorage I would say yes studded definitely due to icy roads down there.

Thanks.

KB_

had zero problems with good A/T tires that are snow rated. Kenda Klever AT2's have been great for me.

ThunderNocked

I ask because in Fairbanks, AK I would say no as everyone uses nonstudded tires like Blizzaks,
while in Anchorage I would say yes studded definitely due to icy roads down there.

Thanks.
that is the one nice thing about so much colder winters - it clears the roads off better!

MT Bound

me personnally, I always shake my head in wonder when I see 4x4 trucks with studded tires, makes no sense to me.....

when it gets that bad, I just throw on the chains

tjones

I hate black ice. Got plenty in the Flathead. So studs. Chains are for snow.
This.

I have a jeep with studs. There is always black ice headed to and from hunting spots. Kinda hard to run down the highway with chains on. When the snow is deep and the pavement ends the chains go on.

Or get an old mini van. I hear they go places a 4x4 can’t.

Last edited:

BearFoot

I don't use studs on any of my 4 X 4's. Mud and snow tires. Year round. My single wheel, non posi rigs. some winters I'll stud up, other winters I don't. It's fun no matter what!

Jason73

If strictly highway driving I'd say good snow tires are probably sufficient. I live up a fairly primitive gravel road, about 7 miles. I personally run studded because it would be a serious pain to chain up every time I was heading home. Already have to chain up more than I like. Best of luck!

diamond hitch

Born in St. Ignatious, raised in Plains, graduated from Hot Springs. Occasionally there is some freezing rain in Dec- Jan. Pretty rediculous to put on studs for 6-10 shiney mornings. Slide with the rest of us or put in 4 wheel drive.

SnowyMountaineer

Best winter on-road tire option IMO is a top end, soft rubber, studless snow like Nokian Hakka. For Ronan I would drive gingerly and not bother, unless you will be putting on many daily miles all winter due to work/life responsibilities.

Kaitum

Thanks.

I ran studded tires on my truck when I lived in Anchorage. 4 months of iced up intersections at every stop light was reason enough to have them. I kept using them when I moved to western MT, just because I already had them if for no other reason. My wife ran Blizzaks in Anchorage and western MT, I liked those better than my studded tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CruiserBill