Caribou Gear

Stop grinding shanks

Fire_9

This was the first animal in a long time that I didn’t debone so it was my first chance to try it (on the bone). I made something similar a few years ago with them boneless but I think this was better.

Ive started saving the shank parts even if I cut them off the bone. I don’t think it’s quite as good as a bone in shank but still good

LuketheDog

Bone in shanks are becoming a rarity with the spread of CWD. My Selway bull last year was my first bone in shanks from elk in a while.

One of the butchers here in Denver won't do them anymore, they're not allowed to use saws in their processing. Not sure if it's a state regulation or a shop rule...

JLS

One of the butchers here in Denver won't do them anymore, they're not allowed to use saws in their processing. Not sure if it's a state regulation or a shop rule...
Many states prohibit the importation of deer/elk bones from a CWD state.

That very well might be a state regulation for processors.

FranklinME

Maybe its overkill but I don't cut any bones anymore when butchering. Maybe covid, lymes and head injury have me paranoid

dingle

The shank is some of the finest eating there is, if not our current all-around favorite "cut." Heed Hank Shaw to learn the basics. I cannot imagine letting one be ground.

SaskHunter

Maybe its overkill but I don't cut any bones anymore when butchering.

I stopped using a saw the day I figured out how to properly use a knife to debone an animal.

Shanks are the only exception and that is because they are oh so delicious. But CWD does cross my mind when I cut through those shanks. Looking forward to an at-home CWD detection kit!

MNHunter67

I’ve been turning most of my shanks into barbacoa using Hank Shaw’s recipe. I’ve also done Osso Bucco, but that barbacoa is just so darn good!

Reactions: JLS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonbrown456