Stop and "Smell the Roses"

onpoint

As an old washed up retired fisheries biologist, his son, and I floated the Yellowstone yesterday - the dropper hopper hopper dropper float - I managed to snap this with one hand on the oars and the other on the camera (for the young, a device that took photographs before the advent of the Samsung x1000 Uber Intelligent Phone).
All the elements of Montana.
A "clean" blue ribbon trout river accessible to the public via the best stream access law in the USA, still can catch readily Yellowstone Cutthroat here....
A "healthy" riparian zone - mature and young cottonwoods, willow, lesser yellow legs, whitetails, ospreys, mergies, mink and beaver, etc.
Prairie - antelope, sage, coulees, muleys, coneflower, rimrock, Swainson's Hawks, and bobcats.
The Crazies - nuff said...........................
The Big Sky. Blue. Clear. Endless.
yrcm.jpg
A whole shitload of stuff going on right now that has the potential to negatively impact all of this.
But, what the hell. I'm retired, have a little money in the bank, still get to do what I want, and most of the perceived bad shit - if it even eventually does affect me - ain't happened yet.
Screw it, think I'll stick my head up my ass - it's nice and warm there - and just put the new boat on Hebgen this weekend, fish the gulpers. Hit the hills with the dogs next week - Blues:).
Oh yeah, a region 7 - land of magical undepletable big game populations - antelope tag in my pocket.
Post up some cool pics of the great things and places I get to experience. Let somebody else worry about the boogeymen.
Hunting seasons and fall fishing gonna be great. Good luck all.
Make sure to get those kids out there to enjoy and start a lifetime of the outdoors for themselves.......................................................................................

Last edited:
Damn nice float there. Getting the kids out Sunday can't wait! Kinda funny you mentioned the too much negativity comment. I was just discussing that with the wife over dinner.

The wife and I have found it pretty difficult to move to Omaha and leave the beautiful place pictured. We have that conversation often and figure we are in good health and things could always be so much worse. Good Lord willing we will be moving back sooner rather than later. I appreciate the "quintessential Montana" picture.

Hopefully shooting (camera) swift fox this evening and tomorrow morning. Hitting Slippery Ann way too early Saturday evening to see if elk are doing much. Shooting (shotgun) birds Sunday and Monday.

Always smelling the roses.

Back