Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Stimulus Money Project phases 1, 2, 3, and 4 complete

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

The used Tundra I recently bought still had the factory shocks on it, despite being an 08 with 84k miles. It was very noticeable in the ride, and both fronts were badly leaking oil.

I took my stimulus check and sent a good chunk of it to Wheelers Off Road. The tear down started yesterday.

894AADE3-AE71-429B-80AD-81CB9D38661B.jpeg

E49EF3A4-26F8-459D-A7D3-08F0FF7140A6.jpeg

06E07CAE-F316-468C-A684-1293405A7C59.jpeg

46115FC5-2CD6-4025-A1D5-A0B31212FD4F.jpeg
85DFB8CC-2445-4071-9E08-5A59B4777ED4.jpeg
I replaced the serpentine belt while I waited for the UPS truck this morning.
0F3C0D78-49ED-4F25-9CD1-41A606744D71.jpeg
2362DFC5-D7CA-46AA-85D7-2E0345E36C02.jpeg

E3C70D08-B0F6-4387-920E-38B9BEFE10EA.jpeg

C1A4214D-4303-475C-B156-CA410DC2BCE5.jpeg
Last one. I had a little mishap where the axle slipped off the floor jack while I was installing the new leaf springs. Dropped an F bomb and scared a poor lady who was jogging. On her way back by she laughed and said she was glad I was still alive. Thank goodness for jack stands and such.

All wrapped up and ready for an oil change tomorrow and re torque everything. I’ll get an alignment done in a week or so after the springs settle in.

6F8CF9E8-C0A4-44FF-B4A7-0F2B573B73DA.jpeg

Impatiently waiting for a road trip to Idaho for spring bear.

I was getting pics of the receipts.

A little bummed I had to log onto hunt talk for updates.
My bad.

I was just happy I didn’t have to send any panicked texts messages of “HTF do I fix this?”

Somewhat manageable to install yourself? The local shop is pretty proud of their work and they charge accordingly.
Plan on a full day. You need a good floor jack, impact wrench, sockets, etc to do the fronts. You replacing coils or using stock? Mine were a bitch to get in with slightly longer coils and not using a spring compressor.

Plan on a full day. You need a good floor jack, impact wrench, sockets, etc to do the fronts. You replacing coils or using stock? Mine were a bitch to get in with slightly longer coils and not using a spring compressor.
It’s a newer truck so I’ll probably use the stock coils unless I decide to go crazy and add a grill guard bumper, then I would get heavier coils. I have the tools and would be able to borrow a spring compressor from a friend. I’ve been thinking of wheel spacers as well, I can fit chains on the front but a little extra clearance there would help too.

Great job!

I need to change them on my sierra. Rears are easy but thought I'd need a professional for the fronts ($300 labor alone). How did u get them in without a spring compressor?

Great job!

I need to change them on my sierra. Rears are easy but thought I'd need a professional for the fronts ($300 labor alone). How did u get them in without a spring compressor?
Put the floor jack underneath the lower control arm. Compress the spring a bit so you can take the shaft nut off. Lower the jack to unload the spring. Take out bottom shock bolt. Pry the lower control arm down and take the shock and coil out the bottom. Install is in reverse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job on the DIY work! The memory of "next time I'm paying someone to do this" will fade after a year or so.
I kind of feel like I do the day after a hard pack out with an elk. The hot tub felt good this morning.

Probably enough to cover my Idaho elk tag.

I did an oil change this morning and did a test drive. Thing floats down the road now. Incredible difference in ride quality. No funny pops, clunks, creaks, and no extra parts 😁

"Found money" skills.....good looking rig, like the topper and the color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back