Stainless steel tumbler?

mtmuley

Anybody use one? Likes, dislikes? Have a pile of brass from the redneck shooting range I want to clean up. Thanks, mtmuley

Anybody use one? Likes, dislikes? Have a pile of brass from the redneck shooting range I want to clean up. Thanks, mtmuley

I’ve been considering The same system. Been using the corn cob And/or walnut media for years the no dust Of steel seems to make sense to me.

I’ve been considering The same system. Been using the corn cob And/or walnut media for years the no dust Of steel seems to make sense to me.
Regular tumbler works fine for my hand loaded ammo. Some of the pick up brass I have needs better cleaning. mtmuley

Regular tumbler works fine for my hand loaded ammo. Some of the pick up brass I have needs better cleaning. mtmuley
Pick up a new batch of walnut shells and let it run till the next day. If you want it shiny run it thru your regular media.

I use stainless pins for all my loads. I did one load for a friend and he gave me some Federal brass that was a bit ugly compared to what I normally work with. This was 3 hours in the stainless tumbler. Load was for his first trip out antelope hunting in Wyoming. The only picture of that brass that I did for him is visible through the plastic bag.
IMG_20200827_155405045_HDR.jpg

I use a stainless steel tumbler set up and love it I run the Frankfort arsenal platinum series my regular media tumblers don’t even get used anymore definitely gets the brass nice and shiny

Do it, you will not reget it! I got mine for xmas about 5 years ago, grab good magnet also

Has that worked for

So do you use a detergent also? mtmuley
I use the frankfurt aresensl stuff that was part of kit (works great), when i cant find it i put small squirt of dawn: works just not as much shine but clean as hell still. I like the way primer pockets get cleaned. I dont use it on every reloading but try to cycle all brass thru it every 2 or 3 loadings. Edit: still on orginal supplied pins from kit 5 years later

SS Wet Tumbler is the best way I have found to clean brass. The only con I see is that you have to dry the brass afterwards. I use a food dehydrator to dry mine, but I think some people just let it air dry on a towel. As others have said, water, couple drops of dish soap, little bit of lemi-shine. Pins never wear out, simply rinse and lead residue and other nastiness goes down the drain. Get a magnet for the pins, a real time saver.

I've tried traditional tumblers with dry media...didn't like the residue left on the brass and media stuck in primer pockets.
Tried an Ultrasonic cleaner...didn't clean well, need to run multiple cycles, uses special cleaning solution, still need to dry brass after.

I've been using stainless pins in the Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler for several years. I primarily use it on range brass or 1x fired bulk brass I have purchased online but also use it on brass fired from suppressed gas guns. I haven't found any corn cob or walnut that can clean brass from suppressed gas guns as well as stainless pins. I use warm water and a drop or two of dish soap with the stainless pins.

The downsides of wet tumbling with stainless pins are that it takes longer to remove all the pins out of smaller bottle neck cases and then more time to dry them.

For me the upsides outweigh the downsides for cleaning extremely dirty cases.

I've been using stainless pins in the Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler for several years. I primarily use it on range brass or 1x fired bulk brass I have purchased online but also use it on brass fired from suppressed gas guns. I haven't found any corn cob or walnut that can clean brass from suppressed gas guns as well as stainless pins. I use warm water and a drop or two of dish soap with the stainless pins.

The downsides of wet tumbling with stainless pins are that it takes longer to remove all the pins out of smaller bottle neck cases and then more time to dry them.

For me the upsides outweigh the downsides for cleaning extremely dirty cases.
I was eyeballing that HF tumbler. Can you use it with the liquid cleaners? mtmuley

I was eyeballing that HF tumbler. Can you use it with the liquid cleaners? mtmuley

What type of liquid cleaners?

I would imagine all but the harshest of chemicals will be fine. The drums are composed of hard rubber and the lids are aluminum but have a rubber coat that seals them from the liquid.

Back