Stabilizers, do you hunt with one?

JFish

I bought a new bow and it shoots great. I put my stabilizer on it and while shooting I noticed I was torquing my bow to the left. I spent 45 minutes driving myself crazy trying to figure out why I was torquing because when I originally shot the bare bow at the store I had no torque. Eventually I took the stabilizer off and immediately had no torque. I tried it several times with and without the stabilizer. Every time I shot without it, the bow did not torque at all it just rocked forward after the shot. Anyone have a similar experience? I also thought it seemed louder with the stabilizer. The bow shoots so well without a stabilizer that I think I’m not going to use one. Anyone else forgo a stabilizer while hunting?

Seems strange to me that a stabilizer would cause torque. Has your bow been tuned or is it straight from the store?
If it's all tuned up and it shoots better without, shoot it without. There are also mounts where you can tune the degree that the stab comes off the riser. That's more for keeping the bow neutrally plumb.

Yes the bow was tuned. I shot again today and I definitely torque when I have the stabilizer on. It does do its job and stabilize my pin, but I can’t figure out why it would cause any torque. Perhaps it’s my form.

Yes the bow was tuned. I shot again today and I definitely torque when I have the stabilizer on. It does do its job and stabilize my pin, but I can’t figure out why it would cause any torque. Perhaps it’s my form.

It probably has something to do with how you grip the bow then. Shooting with a tight grip or even forcing your hand open can induce torque. How deep you are into your hand can affect it also.

A good rule of thumb is to keep the bow grip running through the web of your hand, down the pad next to your thumb. The edge of the grip shouldn't pass the center line of your hand. Keep a relaxed hand and your knuckles should come off the riser at about 45 degrees.

If you do all this already, I apologize. You made no mention of your skill level.

One other option is to set up a video camera offset in front of your bow so you can see exactly what you are doing.

I hunt with one and it has no effect on torque, and I definitely have less pin float at full draw especially when a little windy.

I also shoot with one with 4oz of weight on a 10" stabilizer and it certainly helps with pin float. I'm actually thinking of going a step further with a kicker bar to offset my quiver. Nothing big as the tightspot doesn't pull that much, but I shot a 3D course a couple weeks back with it mounted (just for Ss & Gs) and I was wishing I had a counter weight for those longer pokes

It probably has something to do with how you grip the bow then. Shooting with a tight grip or even forcing your hand open can induce torque. How deep you are into your hand can affect it also.

A good rule of thumb is to keep the bow grip running through the web of your hand, down the pad next to your thumb. The edge of the grip shouldn't pass the center line of your hand. Keep a relaxed hand and your knuckles should come off the riser at about 45 degrees.

If you do all this already, I apologize. You made no mention of your skill level.

One other option is to set up a video camera offset in front of your bow so you can see exactly what you are doing.

Thanks for the tip. I’m a novice so I appreciate any feedback. I do shoot with my hand at a 45 and keep my grip open so maybe I should relax my hand more. I am going to focus more on where I’m gripping in my palm though as well.

Thanks for the tip. I’m a novice so I appreciate any feedback. I do shoot with my hand at a 45 and keep my grip open so maybe I should relax my hand more. I am going to focus more on where I’m gripping in my palm though as well.

I usually grip pretty relaxed, at a 45* angle and I'll usually curl my index finger so it touches, but doesn't grip the riser. If I relax too much with my fingers out my shots will tend to go left, usually enough to make what should be a 12 into a solid 10 on the 3D rings

If it is a new bow and you are new to archery I would advise you to do a ton of shooting before you make any decisions about groupings, left right lean (torque as you put it). Put 3 or 400 arrows through it, stabilize your form to the point you know it's NOT you the shooter then start making changes, adjustments to things like stabilizers (length weight and so on). When you know and have the confidence in your technique/form and you can repeat groupings consistently you will then be able to adamantly and definitively notice slight changes you make to your bow, whether it's stabilizers, sites, quivers and so on. When you have your form down then it's time to adjust sites for whatever items you add to the bow. If at that point you slap a new quiver on and you start grouping right or left you can definitely say it's the quiver. Don't change your form to compensate at this point as you know you have done the work/practic/perfecting your form. it's now time to adjust sites to compensate. I see a ton of people put accessories on their bows,,,, after a full season of shooting their form gets perfected, chase site adjustments the entire season not realizing it's not the bow or the accessories. You can spend a ton of money on accessories listening to every fancy add or hype and in the end 90% of most peoples issue comes down to practice and form perfection.
Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
You could be reacting to extra weight and putting more pressure on your hand. If you’re torquing you may need a side bar.

I hunt with a 9in stabilizer now with no issue. I actually use it when I'm closing in on a stalk to rest my bow on the ground.

I have sot with a stabilizer for yrs never had any issue with it causing torque it may be your form I would go with what ntodwild said if your new just work on shooting/form dont worry about bulls eyes
and maybe go back to your pro shop or have a buddy watch you shoot good luck

I hunt with one, a short 4" Sims doinker. I think with the added weight of the stabilizer, it causes you to change your grip on the bow to compensate for the weight difference.

@JFish have you figured out what was going on with your stabilizer?

Yes I did! I shot a lot and focused on my grip. Instead of keeping my hand completely open I used a more relaxed grip with only my index barely making contact with my thumb. I also added weight to the stabilizer after experimenting with different combos. I believe the culprit was mostly my grip and form. I’m shooting much more consistently and with better groups. No more torquing.5866C571-1D6E-4A15-861E-DE0376C4C0F1.jpeg

I do use a stabilizer but I forgot it in my bowcase one day, it's too long (9 inches) to fit into the case and has a quick connect, and didn't realize it until I was in my stand over a mile and half back into public. I killed a a real nice buck that afternoon at about 25 yards without it.

Yes I did! I shot a lot and focused on my grip. Instead of keeping my hand completely open I used a more relaxed grip with only my index barely making contact with my thumb. I also added weight to the stabilizer after experimenting with different combos. I believe the culprit was mostly my grip and form. I’m shooting much more consistently and with better groups. No more torquing.View attachment 140654
Glad to hear it.

The stabilizer won’t fix anything. If you have good grip and form, you’ll shoot decent without one. I spend time shooting without one to allow my faults to be more noticeable, then put the stabilizer back on and I can feel how much smoother it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back