StaBALL HD and Staball Match

MThuntr

Did a very quick search and didn't see anything.

Temp stable ball option for big guns coming soon. If similar to Staball6.5 in temp sensitivity then there's something worth looking into. Likely not as consistent as the Extreme Line from Hodgdon but another option where slow burning powders are hard to get and often overpriced.

A temp stable ball powder for small cartridges would be great for progressive reloading. My CFE223 is pretty touchy when it comes to temp swings so I'm definitely in.

Also in a Hodgdon comment they are working with manufacturers on getting the Enduron line back.

Last edited:
Also in a Hodgdon comment they are working with manufacturers on getting the Enduron line back.
I hope this is true.

Also it cracks me up when manufacturers label something “match”. Like all the PRS guys are just magically going to switch to this powder that isn’t going to be nearly as temp stable as, say, H4350.

I hope this is true.

Also it cracks me up when manufacturers label something “match”. Like all the PRS guys are just magically going to switch to this powder that isn’t going to be nearly as temp stable as, say, H4350.
The match powder seems to be something for 223 guys so I'd guess match would be more 3 gun than PRS. Mass production ammo through a progressive press versus single loading for 0.1" precision

I have one rifle that hates ball powder. But have used it to good effect in other rifles in the past. I usually use extruded powder in my rifles because of temp stability, but the ball powder does throw so much easier. Staball is supposed to be the best of both worlds, but I’ve never tried it.

Agree that the monikers are a bit “interesting”, but it doesn’t bother me. Kinda like shooters world and ramshot/western powders

Only time will tell.
I've heard some F-Class shooters remark that velocities were good in the cartridges they tried (6.5 Staball).
Accuracy wise has been mixed.
But don't like the residue it leaves.

I've heard of the temp instability of CFE223.
But the reason i don't use it was i could never get the ES/SD down to numbers i could live with.

For me temp stability isn't my #1 thing for which powder i'm using.
I have my DOPE sheets to deal with that.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back