SPOT device vote of No Confidence

JohnCushman

I like the 2 way messaging ability of the inReach. I was on an elk hunt several years ago and my then wife was able to text me and tell me she was in the hospital and about to have emergency surgery. With the SPOT and limited one way messaging I would have never known to break camp and get home.

Mthuntr

I used Spot one year, and luckily brought a sat phone along as well. I needed it. It seemed to not work at all unless you had good south exposure. I took it on a solo walk and was "missing" for 24hrs with the tracking due to the aspect of the mountains.

I've been using inreach for the last 5 years exclusively and have had zero issues with it. The only issue I have is the unit won't send messages to my phone some times, but they are in the unit itself. Its as reliable as a sat phone, or more so. I've had issues with sat phones not working for 30-60 min at a time, or really spotty for hours.
I've heard of dead times for sat phones as well as random phones not receiving messages from Garmins (possibly a cellular provider issue).

anyway I've sent a plea to my direct supervisor to push the issue further. Unfortunately Garmin has refused to sign an agreement as part of Section 889 of the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act order prohibiting US companies from doing business with the handful of Chinese telecommunications companies so I'm not sure what could happen. Time will tell especially if I don't shut up about it ;) :ROFLMAO:

2rocky

I had to replace a stolen InReach today. Well this thread reminded me I did want to stay with it. I ended up having to apply for a Amazon Prime CC to get a $150 gift card, and that made the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NEOHhunter23