Caribou Gear

Speer 70gr sp in 223..

Fullquiver

Anyone loading this bullet in the 223 What powder are you using if you're loading this. I have Varget, AA2520, 3031 and TAC. Shooting them out of a 1:9 Savage bolt gun..

Not quite the same. I was single loading them in an AR15 and here is what worked for me.
W748 26.2 IMR4895 22.5 These were low to midrange loads. Good luck

From money the Speer 70 gr is a very soft projectile. What is your intended use?

Anyone loading this bullet in the 223 What powder are you using if you're loading this. I have Varget, AA2520, 3031 and TAC. Shooting them out of a 1:9 Savage bolt gun..
You will likely be very unhappy with the 70 gr 556 bullet in a 1:9 twist, for the Sierra 69 gr they recommend 1:7 twist, that long bullet just will not stabilize for consistent accuracy.

You will likely be very unhappy with the 70 gr 556 bullet in a 1:9 twist, for the Sierra 69 gr they recommend 1:7 twist, that long bullet just will not stabilize for consistent accuracy.
This is still a relatively short length bullet and from everyting that I have read is that it will stabilize in a 1:9 twist. BTw I have thought about using it for coyotes in thick cover and perhaps Whitetails in these same conditions..

Varget seems to be the most consistent powder that works with that bullet but you may run into highly compressed loads. I'd look at AA2520 then...FYI there is a recall on certain lots of 2520.

Varget seems to be the most consistent powder that works with that bullet but you may run into highly compressed loads. I'd look at AA2520 then...FYI there is a recall on certain lots of 2520.
Yeah the 2520 I have is around 6-7 years old I have plenty and it's not part of the recall.. Just was wondering who had experience with this. I'll take what you said into consideration.. I have lots of Varget and I am not really using it in any of my other rifles..

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back