Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Southern WY bear baiters/ hunters..

Steve Petersen

With my 1st spring bear baiting/ hunting season here in south central WY in the books, I have the fall season now to prep for. Only bait hits were from sows with cubs. I’m wondering how many others here bait and or hunt bear in SC WY?
I’m wondering what sort of berries and or hard mast food items, if any, do you find the bears feeding on? I’ve yet to locate any berries or hard mast foods in my bait areas. I’ve found very little in the way of info on what wild berries and hard mast foods are found in the SC part of the state. I know it’s the spring and they aren’t available right now but they will be come fall. I plan to get out with my sons and really scout over the summer as well looking for these food sources.
What foods are you seeing them eat come fall? Thank you in advance for any .02 you may have.

I'd call the USFS Region 2 Ecologist and/or Botanist. I used to work with that botanist on occasion actually. They should be able to give you some good ideas on what landforms, slopes, elevations, etc. to look for berry producing plant species your area of interest.

I'd call the USFS Region 2 Ecologist and/or Botanist. I used to work with that botanist on occasion actually. They should be able to give you some good ideas on what landforms, slopes, elevations, etc. to look for berry producing plant species your area of interest.

That hadn’t even crossed my mind contacting them. THANK YOU for that info and idea.

+1
AA.jpg

I see a lot of torn up logs in fall. Bears are eating whatever they can find then. They also like the huckleberries.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back