Caribou Gear

South East AK. Spring Bear Hunt

ColtCRX16

Hello from the North East, A bear hunter by heart, who loves to spot and stalk these majestic creatures flat footed. I hope to be able to provide insight to those wanting to come to the east coast and hunt Blackies, and learn some good tips for hunting in South East Alaska in 2021

Welcome to the forum. Good tact to offer to help in your part of the world as part of your first post.

Most of SE AK is on a draw for non-residents, unless you go guided. The deadline for spring 2021 hunts was last month. Might be a few leftover tags in less desirable units. Good luck if you go.

Welcome!

If you haven't already check out Randy's Alaska bear hunting videos to prepare your self. Se Alaska can be a wet miserable time, so good rain gear is usually key!

Welcome to the forum. Good tact to offer to help in your part of the world as part of your first post.

Most of SE AK is on a draw for non-residents, unless you go guided. The deadline for spring 2021 hunts was last month. Might be a few leftover tags in less desirable units. Good luck if you go.
Was following because I'm in the early stages of planning. Did they really draw for 2021? I assumed it was only 2020. Can someone please clarify, I couldn't find an answer on the website.

Yes the draw for spring bear is basically 1.5 years early. I believe the spring season are associated with the previous fall season and not the calendar year though my interpretation at this moment is likely flawed so someone may have to expand on this correctly. We're doing a May 2020 POW hunt which we applied for in Dec 2018 and it is associated with the 2019 season...again someone with better understanding may be able to help

Yes the draw for spring bear is basically 1.5 years early. I believe the spring season are associated with the previous fall season and not the calendar year though my interpretation at this moment is likely flawed so someone may have to expand on this correctly. We're doing a May 2020 POW hunt which we applied for in Dec 2018 and it is associated with the 2019 season...again someone with better understanding may be able to help
Yep. That’s correct. The AK hunting permit “calendar” starts with the fall hunts and ends with the spring. So if you’re only looking to hunt bears in the spring, you need to be applying 18 months before your hunt dates.

Most of SE Ak has been reopened for over the counter tags for non-residents. The areas that are still remaining in the draw is unit #2 POW Island; part of unit #1 mainland south of Juneau; and parts of unit #3 Kuiu and Kupreanof Islands. Those are the easier accessed (some roaded) areas.

There is plenty of very good hunting available for the non-resident without having to draw or having to hire a guide. Those areas will take some logistics planning. Some areas are within range to be hunted from infrastructure but most is remote. Remote areas will require transport as well as hunt camp planning.

Thank you SD_Prairie_Goat, Randy is like a fork and knife in this house, Ive watched all his video's on South East AK Black Bear Hunting and preparation videos.

Thanks, shows my ignorance but saved a lot of aggravation.
VAspeedgoat everyone is correct but don't loose hope because the first Friday in March they "may" release Unsubscribed Permits on a first come first serve basis, you should reach out to the local Department of Fish and Game. There is a general application that will need to be filled out and either emailed or faxed in. Like SD_Prairie_Goat suggested watch Randy's video's on South East AK. Black Bear Hunting, he realy covers all the hurdles, hoops, and suggestions to make this as easy as possible (LOL he should be charging for his videos he's made it so simple) I dont know where you plan to hunt but the Unit 3 Department of Fish and Wildlife number is 907-772-5228 located in Petersburg.
Good luck
let me know if I can assist as we are also going spring 2021

Thank you we hope to be able to secure a couple unsubscribed tags the first Friday in March DL030

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back