Caribou Gear Tarp

South Dakota pickup hunter

Luckydog1147

I lived in South Dakota my entire life. I have grown up hunting and fishing. My hunting experience has gotten better the older I have gotten. I have gone from hunting pheasants and rifle whitetail to. Ducks/geese, archery deer, coyotes. But a lot is missing I feel. Where I grew up we do what I call pickup hunting. Meaning we drive around looking for deer, see them then get out and try to figure out how to get around on them to get a shot. I am not talking about shooting from the pickup or chasing them. I really want to get into back woods hunting. We really don’t have opertunities like that here. I am listening to all the pod casts and watching YouTube to learn as much as I can. I am hoping to learn more here as well.

Welcome! My advise would be to take a drive this summer to western SD and spend 3-4 days just scouting and driving through as much territory as possible. Take a lot of notes and learn what type of terrain holds the antelope vs. the mule deer, and some will overlap. My point is you can get a lot of "Western" hunting experiences in your home state where it's easier and WAY cheaper to get some tags.

Welcome! My advise would be to take a drive this summer to western SD and spend 3-4 days just scouting and driving through as much territory as possible. Take a lot of notes and learn what type of terrain holds the antelope vs. the mule deer, and some will overlap. My point is you can get a lot of "Western" hunting experiences in your home state where it's easier and WAY cheaper to get some tags.
Well the issue I have this year is I am Deployed with the army until some point in October. And actually getting tags in South Dakota is not very easy even for residents

Welcome and thanks for your service. Look for 4th season leftovers in Colorado- there should be quite a few bull and cow tags on sale at beginning of August.

I'd be more than happy to help you get started hunting West River some. Shucks if nothing else get a Whitetail Doe license which is really easy to draw and come get your feet wet.

Welcome! I spent a about 6 weeks a couple winters ago catching Whitetails in eastern SD. For that kind of terrain, it doesn't seem like there is much opportunity for a backcountry experience. I have no idea about ownership, but there was some interesting breakish type country along the river not to far from Chamberlain that held a bunch of deer and looked like it would be fun to hunt. Also, some interesting terrain north of Watertown kind of near Sisseton. I was flabbergasted with how many thousands of fancy drive-on fish "shacks" were out on the lakes around there. Looks like a lot of guys have many tens of thousands of dollars invested in their ice fishing setups:oops:.

Those SD whitetails are feisty buggers!!

Well the issue I have this year is I am Deployed with the army until some point in October. And actually getting tags in South Dakota is not very easy even for residents
Sorta. BH deer, ER deer, WR deer, Custer deer, Archery deer, ML deer, Refuge deer.;):D

Reactions: LCH
Welcome Lucky! Fellow Watertown area hunter. Plenty of public land in your area to get out on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back