Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Solo Wyoming hunt

ashersdad

Got lucky and drew a Wyoming General tag 2 years in a row. Last year I shot my bull first thing opening morning so I decided I would try the same routine as last year. The mountain I hunt is just over 3,000 vertical feet to the top and almost 4 miles. Since the elk are usually up top, that’s where I wanted to be. When I was younger I could make that hike everyday without thinking twice. Now at 47, I’d rather pack in the day before season and stay on top for a few days if necessary.

So I got my pack ready and headed in the day before the opener.
1571366875908.jpeg

Got to my intended campsite and set up the tent. I had 30 minutes before dark so I hiked to the knob where I had shot my elk last year and at 600 yards I could see a herd of elk with one branch antlered bull. Figured that was a good sign so I called it a day.

1571367110005.jpeg

1571367151033.jpeg

Woke up the next morning filled with excitement. Hiked up and the herd of elk was pretty much where I had left them the night before. 4 bulls in the group, the biggest being a rag horn 5 point. I debated holding out for something bigger but in the end decided that I’d rather have a small bull than no bull at all. I also figured I’d need plenty of time to get him out by myself so I had a repeat of last year and had an elk in the first 30 minutes of opening day.

1571367469487.jpeg

After that, the hard work really begins. I told my wife last year that I was done doing solo elk hunts and I’m feeling the same way now but it seems with time that feeling goes away. We’ll see what next year brings but for now, I’m happy to have elk meat in the freezer and to have been able to be back in the mountains for a few days.

Very nice job!! I am getting close to 46 and still love hitting the mountains with camp on my back. In fact I am heading out next Friday in New Mexico to do just that. There is something magical about being out there enjoying it all!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back