Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Solar panel technology

MThuntr

I've been an advocate for using battery packs and not using solar panels as the technology seemed to be lagging behind the shrinking size of power packs. I just got a new power pack after mine died this spring but I've been relying on the idea that solar panels aren't worth it for some time but haven't investigated myself lately.

Anyone know if this is still true or has packable solar technology caught up?

Don't know about battery packs, but I have a Solar Monkey Adventurer by Power Traveller, which I have used backpacking to charge my phone for onX use, my camera, and my flashlight. It straps onto my pack and charges as I hike. I like it as it has proven to be very reliable and easy to use.

Don't know about battery packs, but I have a Solar Monkey Adventurer by Power Traveller, which I have used backpacking to charge my phone for onX use, my camera, and my flashlight. It straps onto my pack and charges as I hike. I like it as it has proven to be very reliable and easy to use.
Nice.

My real concern would be strapping it to a pack and then spending the daytime in the dark timber. That would be negated by leaving it at camp if possible. I tried that with a smaller solar battery pack and the dang thing never recovered after the first charge though I think the solar charger/battery pack combo technology at the time was a joke and maybe the two need to be separate items.

real concern would be strapping it to a pack and then spending the daytime in the dark timber.

I have similar concerns... most of my hunts where I really need a battery backup are in places that also aren't known for sunny weather.

The solar panels have always seemed to be more trendy than efficacious.

My hunting partner has one ( can't remember the brand). If it was sunny with no clouds it charged like a champ for our Iphones, but any type of cloud cover and it went to nothing. It was nice to sit on a ridge and glass while plugged in as using the phones for pics and videos through the binos really drained the battery it seems.

I used to install solar panels and I would say it is great to have but not always rely on. Solar works great on cloudless sunny days. As soon as it's shady or cloudy charging times can get dismal and you can't charge at night at all lol. But it would be nice to have a solar if you knew you would have good sunny weather and pack a small battery charger just in case you need a charge at night or something.

I used to install solar panels and I would say it is great to have but not always rely on. Solar works great on cloudless sunny days. As soon as it's shady or cloudy charging times can get dismal and you can't charge at night at all lol. But it would be nice to have a solar if you knew you would have good sunny weather and pack a small battery charger just in case you need a charge at night or something.
My Solar Monkey has a built-in battery, so each night my phone would be charged as I slept. Then the solar charger recharged the battery as I hiked.

I really think you want something that will work at night. That’s when the consequences are the highest for running out of power.

I used to run a Goal Zero Nomad 7 setup. Idea was to charge a battery pack during the day, then my electronics at night. And it worked, on nice sunny days when I baby-sat it and kept it in direct sun. But as I was in and out of shadows or when the sky turned cloudy, it wasn't charging the battery pack. I returned it and bought a 26,000 mAh battery. It weighs less, less hassle, and isn't dependent on prefect weather. I am happier with the battery and won't go back to solar

Back