Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Smoking game

I smoke a lot of game. I have one word - FAT. The trick is to add fat so things don't dry out, especially birds. I wrap a pheasant/grouse/goose breast in bacon, completely covering it. Hold the bacon on with toothpicks. I've laid strips of beef brisket fat over the top of elk roasts while smoking them. Mmm mmm yummy. Another trick is to get a spray bottle and spray the meat often, say every half hour, with beer or fruit juice or just water or your favorite marinade. I smoke larger elk/deer roasts for a few hours then wrap them in foil and then finish cooking, either in the smoker or in a 200 degree over. That helps keep in the moisture, and the meat is plenty smoky anyway after about 3-4 hours. If you haven't yet discovered it, use real hardwood chunk charcoal, not briquettes. It gives much more consistent heat that lasts much longer and it tastes better. -al

EllieMAE I know with my smoker it has a water boel in it to elp keep my meats moist>If i smoke on my grill i use a lil tin pan filled with water or marinade.

This is a must do recipe. The key to smoking birds is to leave the skin on. For turkeys and pheasants,you soak in Morton's Tenderquick for about 24 hours and put on the smoker until internal temperature is about 170 to 180 degrees. Guaranteed to knock your socks off. The outside might look like it is burnt but don't worry once you pull the skin back the meat will be really moist and delicious. You guys try this and let me know if it isn't the best you've had!

I forgot to tell you to use the water pan and keep water in it because this keeps the meat moist.

Back