Should it stay or should it go?

So I picked up this rifle about a 6 months ago on the cheap. Cheap enough that it made sense. The rifle is a Bergara HMR in 6.5CM. The previous owner had bought the stock pictured, butchered it a little and tried to fit it. He wasn't having any luck, so he sold me the rifle with the original stock and this remy take off stock. I smoothed out what he had done and the remy take off stock fits well. I am not a fan of the original HMR stock with the "vertical" style grip as it's not comfortable to me. So I use this one. The rifle has a 22" threaded heavy barrel and came with the ridiculously large mag(10) pictured. I have a smaller mag (5) also. I put a set of talley ring/base LW's on it and a plain 3x-9x Luepold VX-1 that is plenty of magnification for me.

My dilemma is that I am not a fan of plastic stocks. Even though the hogue remy take off is comfortable, it's just not my thing. I would like to put this in a wood stock but looking at the price to purchase the stock and have it inletted (the receiver and barrel on the Bergara are a rem700 foot print, but the bottom metal is larger), should I just sell this rifle and purchase something that I want?

mjXJTWX.jpg

The rifle has been accurate shooting just about everything from soft points to SST's. This is my current coyote rifle.

And although the 6.5CM is an interesting round and the rifle is good, I am thinking that I want to get a .222 or similar so that I can be a little more pelt friendly. I have used .223 in the past and it performed ok, but not great for fox or other smaller predators due to it's speed, hence the .222 is a little slower and less destructive. Was also looking at a .22 hornet as a possibility. .22-250 is no slouch and works great for coyotes, but will destroy a fox. I am trying to find a better fur caliber.

And although the 6.5CM is an interesting round and the rifle is good, I am thinking that I want to get a .222 or similar so that I can be a little more pelt friendly. I have used .223 in the past and it performed ok, but not great for fox or other smaller predators due to it's speed, hence the .222 is a little slower and less destructive. Was also looking at a .22 hornet as a possibility. .22-250 is no slouch and works great for coyotes, but will destroy a fox. I am trying to find a better fur caliber.

I knew a guy who shot fox and bobcats and swore .17Hornet was the perfect balance of power and low hide damage. He used .204Ruger for coyotes.

I knew a guy who shot fox and bobcats and swore .17Hornet was the perfect balance of power and low hide damage. He used .204Ruger for coyotes.

I had a CZ in .17 hornet. Great little round. A little on the light side for coyotes though. I would like to get a caliber that can manage all predators as I never know what's going to walk into the call.

I don't hunt predator's at all anymore. But years ago I did some. Favorite cartridge was 222 Rem with 50gr Hornady SX. They didn't shoot through anything! I'm not sure that the SX can be had anymore but in a 243 I use the 75gr Hornady V-Max, really explosive bullet! If I were to start predator hunting today I'd either use my 22mag or look into a 22 Hornet. My though is the most predator hunting is done calling them in. Not sure a really long range cartridge is actually needed and one developing enough velocity to cover say 300yds just might be a bit destructive at 200yds and less. On the other hand just walking around looking for coyote's, do that now and then, I do use the 243's! Of course I don't save pelts and would have to get a lot better at calling to make it worth my time.

Look at the link Addicting sent me in the .222 thread. Wish I could swing it right now, but can't. mtmuley

I'd vote for sell. It looks very utilitarian, which is not bad, but sounds like you want something different. I love my 222 and have had great luck with it on predators. 200 yards is my max using a fixed 4 power.

Maybe in someone else's hands, just not mine. I have a 30-06 that I am comfortable shooting and it's accurate. I don't see a reason to switch things up.
I don’t get the dislike for the stock, but it’s your rifle. Fur friendly is a tradeoff. I would rather know they won't run off and take some damage. I used to kill lots of coyotes in Az. They can take a lot, if the shot is not just right. I spent lots of time sewing hides, but they were reduced to possession.

To quote Townsend Whelen:

“Only accurate rifles are interesting”

I have a hard time divesting accurate guns unless they just don’t fit me ergonomically.

To quote Townsend Whelen:

“Only accurate rifles are interesting”

I have a hard time divesting accurate guns unless they just don’t fit me ergonomically.

Yeah, I get it, but the 6.5CM was an impulse buy, and however accurate it may be, will never come close to filling the shoes of my old '06. So I am going to try to sell the 6.5.

Back