Update--Should I Trade In My Semi-Auto For a Side-by-Side

You know, my initial thought was that $750 was too little, but just looked on a big seller site, one of the big two, and you can pick up Miroku/Charles Daly SxS for that kind of money. Miroku made Browning O/U and SxS for years after production from FN ceased. The attached article details the Browning/Miroku relationship. A Charles Daly/Miroku 500 20 gauge SxS was the best dove gun I ever had. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chcks dig double guns.

Dogs respect you more & perform better.

Your hair grows back.

Your back stops hurting.

Your wife will be more amorous.

You'll hit more birds.

And they're just dead sexy.

Get a used gun that fits. German if possible. Best bang for the buck in the used market.

Good Guns and its sequel Good Guns Again, by Stephen Bodio are nice treatises on fine weapons, with SxS doubles being his first love. Pretty short but fine writing as well as good discussions of why SxSs have the qualities Ben Lamb describes so eloquently. He discusses American, Spanish, Continental, etc. And to expand on Ben's post, redheads, most prized of all women, prefer their men to own double guns. At least that's what she said when she bought me the matched 20/28 set at DU ;) 😂

OR you could do what I would do and trade whatever you have for a SuperX2. One of the origionals with the high raised rib. I have 2 of them. One is still brand new. lol

Purists might think I’m nuts, but I sold my 870 Wingmaster because it was too heavy for the bird hunting I like to do (and finding 16 gauge shells was a PITA) and bought a cheap Yildiz 20 gauge O/U. I’ve never regretted it, even when a firing pin broke — Yildiz fixed it quickly and for free.

So yeah, double guns forever.

I’m with you on the Citori vs the Superposed, but I like the newer 725 a whole lot... They handle amazingly well for me.

It' still a machine made firearm. I like hand fitted & made with the sweat of master craftsmen who knew how to drink a gallon of beer & hoist a bar maid up on their shoulders, but I'm a whimsical romantic.

I love the thought of sxs and o/u, but the two I have seem to always be left in the safe and my beretta and benelli semi-autos see a lot of use. To each there own, but if I had to have one primary gun a good mid-range benelli/beretta is extremely hard to beat - and on the lower end, the montefeltro will shoot a lifetime - rock solid performers at a value price.

It' still a machine made firearm. I like hand fitted & made with the sweat of master craftsmen who knew how to drink a gallon of beer & hoist a bar maid up on their shoulders, but I'm a whimsical romantic.
I do shoot Glocks, so I’m familiar with fine Teutonic craftsmanship.

I should clarify that I was joking, because I’m sure referring to Glocks as fine Austrian craftsmanship hurt your soul a bit.

Last edited:
I do shoot Glocks, so I’m familiar with fine Teutonic craftsmanship.

I should clarify that I was joking, because I’m sure referring to Glocks as fine Austrian craftsmanship hurt your soul a bit.
I used to call them Tupperware guns (still do at times), but they just work and work well.

I love the thought of sxs and o/u, but the two I have seem to always be left in the safe and my beretta and benelli semi-autos see a lot of use. To each there own, but if I had to have one primary gun a good mid-range benelli/beretta is extremely hard to beat - and on the lower end, the montefeltro will shoot a lifetime - rock solid performers at a value price.
My Beretta feels like a telephone pole relative to my SXS.

All this talk about SXS shotguns has me thinking about pulling out an old 16 gauge that was gifted to me this year for some wood duck shooting. Not to hijack the thread but any recommendations on 16 gal. Non toxic ammo with no chokes? Hevi metal classic doubles maybe?

All this talk about SXS shotguns has me thinking about pulling out an old 16 gauge that was gifted to me this year for some wood duck shooting. Not to hijack the thread but any recommendations on 16 gal. Non toxic ammo with no chokes? Hevi metal classic doubles maybe?

Those are pricey. Look at Kent bismuth as well.

@MTLabrador - I have no problems with Glocks. They're great tools for LEO's and others who value reliability & value. Great taxpayer funded firearms!

Back