Short Action Cartridges in Long Action Receivers

BuckRut

I have a .270 that I may want to rechamber for a short action cartridge (probably 7mm-08). I am sure there is the possibility that I encounter some issues when chambering a round since the magazine box is bigger than it needs to be but I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of any other potential issues I might run into.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only downside is having a slightly longer/heavier rifle.
Tikkas, for instance, all use one size of receiver and lotsa people run short action cartridges in the long action mags to take advantage of the greater OAL.
Not sure what you have, but I doubt there'd be an issue

Depends on the action. Some manufactures only make one size action and just use a different follower/mag box for short action. Anything can be done with $$$.
It's a budget build. Picked up a Savage Axis II at the pawn shop and am going to run through a semi custom build on then hopefully sell it for what I have into it. Goal being to get some practice with the gunsmithing techniques before I attempt a full custom.

I'm not that up on Savage, but I think they have 2 different "long" action lengths and chambered "short" action cartridges in them before they came out with their current short action. I would assume you could buy the parts you need off the shelf you need.

I can't see how that would be a problem. Certainly the follower wouldn't be an issue. Perhaps the receiver trough might release the shell to the bolt too early but I doubt many guns would be designed any other way except to not release the shell from magazine until it's started well into the chamber. Looking into my Springfield I see that the cartridge is not fully released from the magazine until the bolt has traveled at least three quarters down the track to chamber. Keep in mind this is a Mauser claw extractor style gun. Other models might release the shell earlier.

You should be fine. It's done on other actions fairly regularly though often there is some sort of magazine block to keeping things neat.

Picked up a Savage Axis II at the pawn shop and am going to run through a semi custom build on then hopefully sell it for what I have into it.
The truth of the matter is that if you're going to build this semi custom on a Savage Axis action that should just plan to keep it. As a frequent buyer of guns online...I don't intend to come of mean/rude...you will likely lose a bunch of $ on it if you intend to sell. The facts are that nobody really wants to pay for a Savage Axis semi custom and especially not if done by someone "trying" gunsmithing. It's particularly an issue when there aren't really any aftermarket parts for said rifle.

You should be fine. It's done on other actions fairly regularly though often there is some sort of magazine block to keeping things neat.

The truth of the matter is that if you're going to build this semi custom on a Savage Axis action that should just plan to keep it. As a frequent buyer of guns online...I don't intend to come of mean/rude...you will likely lose a bunch of $ on it if you intend to sell. The facts are that nobody really wants to pay for a Savage Axis semi custom and especially not if done by someone "trying" gunsmithing. It's particularly an issue when there aren't really any aftermarket parts for said rifle.
That's a fair point. I don't intend to make money for the full custom rather just get back some of the money spent on an education. I will have very little money into this rifle in the end and while I don't have a lot of gunsmithing experience I have access to a full machine shop so the work is not going to be done cutting any corners or using any improvised methods.

That's a fair point. I don't intend to make money for the full custom rather just get back some of the money spent on an education. I will have very little money into this rifle in the end and while I don't have a lot of gunsmithing experience I have access to a full machine shop so the work is not going to be done cutting any corners or using any improvised methods.
There's the fun factor of making something that's mostly done by you. Hard to put a $ value on that. Might eventually make a nicer heirloom than just some gun bought off a shelf. Good luck.

If you are keeping the factory Savage stock then changing the front trigger guard and flipping the baffle on the bolt allows you to go from long action to short action and vice versa.

If you are keeping the factory Savage stock then changing the front trigger guard and flipping the baffle on the bolt allows you to go from long action to short action and vice versa.
Boyd’s At-One stock is already on its way

M24 SWS is a .308 in a long action rifle. It’s also chambered in .300 win mag.

I’ve got a big horn origin coming that’s long enough (3.850”) for a .338 lapua, plan is to chamber it also for a .260 Remington (.308) and a .280 Remington (.30-06). Weight difference between my model 10 and my stevens 200 LA is like 3.8 oz. If that. Been a few years since I weighed them.

If your plan is to turn around and sell it, why not just choose a long action cartridge?
I’m debating that but when I get around to doing my build to keep I want to go with 7mm-08. Rather buy the chamber reamer and go/no go gauges for one cartridge

BTW - I think rental might be an option for the reamer and the gauges. At least, I have read that on the internet…

BTW - I think rental might be an option for the reamer and the gauges. At least, I have read that on the internet…

IIRC, the Savage Axis series are all made for long action. I wondered why my .243 receiver seemed so long compared to my Model 110 in .308 until I found out about this. Apart from length, weight, and bolt throw, I don't think it presents any problems. If you put your .270 next to a 7mm-08 Axis II, they'd probably be damn-near indistinguishable, at least from the top.

However, I DO think they provide short action magazines (and thus stocks) when an Axis is chambered for a short action. My .243 magazine is interchangeable with my .308 Model 110 magazine.

If you're doing this for gunsmithing practice, why bother with the length change? Why not make it a .30-'06? Are you deliberately targeting a short action just for the experience?

The only differences between long action & short action in an Axis is the magazine & the plastic trigger guard.
The one piece trigger guard has a spacer built in to take up the space for the short action magazine.
If your getting a Boyds stock, specify a short action & get their trigger guard.
Then you'll have to find short action Axis magazines.

IIRC, the Savage Axis series are all made for long action. I wondered why my .243 receiver seemed so long compared to my Model 110 in .308 until I found out about this. Apart from length, weight, and bolt throw, I don't think it presents any problems. If you put your .270 next to a 7mm-08 Axis II, they'd probably be damn-near indistinguishable, at least from the top.

However, I DO think they provide short action magazines (and thus stocks) when an Axis is chambered for a short action. My .243 magazine is interchangeable with my .308 Model 110 magazine.

If you're doing this for gunsmithing practice, why bother with the length change? Why not make it a .30-'06? Are you deliberately targeting a short action just for the experience?
Only real reason was to try to pick a caliber that I want to make my full custom in and then only by reamer and gauges once. I have now decided to rent reamers so the options are endless now.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back