Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shelter

Howie

Hi, I'm in for a Colo. archery elk hunt this year, my first. Planning to camp where we end up after hunting the day. Tent or lean-to?

I'd take a tent, you wouldn't want to be caught in an early season storm.

I have a cabin tent that I used for years in Colorado and about to replace it with a small wall tent. I would say tent all the way and a stove that you can use propane, wood or coal in.

Definitely a tent. There are many good backpacking tents under 4 pounds. In my opinion, it’s worth the piece of mind if bad weather rolls in.

If you are talking just a night or two away from main camp (or truck), consider using a bivy sack. A high quality bivy sack, thermorest and sleeping bag will give you a cozy nights sleep.

a backpack tent for 2 , light weight and provides protection from elements and to leave gear in if you hunt from the camp a day or two

Last edited:
If you’re not used to “bivy” hunting or backpacking I’d recommend a car camp before a spike camp and a spike camp before bivy hunting until you have a feel for what it entails.

If you know what you’re getting into and plan to hunt with multiple days worth of food, all clothes, shelter/pad/sleeping bag, stove, etc on your back you’re going to want light. I’d go sub 2 lbs 2 person mid or UL solo shelter.

Thank you for the input. We will be going in for 7days or so and I was concerned of the weight.
It was recommended not to hike to and from camp everyday, and lose time we could be resting so we carry camp with and haul the extra weight as the trade off.

Just got a tarp tent StratoSpire 2 and put a stove jack in it with a wood stove. Only about 5 lbs with the stove and 1 person liner. Tried it in the yard but it the back country yet. I like it overall but could be a little flimsy with much snow. I’m going this route this season for packing in.

Thank you for the input. We will be going in for 7days or so and I was concerned of the weight.
It was recommended not to hike to and from camp everyday, and lose time we could be resting so we carry camp with and haul the extra weight as the trade off.

If your just getting started backpack hunting a MSR hubbu hubba or a big agnes tent is a great way to start, super light, easy to setup, can hold up to weather pretty well. I often run the hubba hubba with just the fly and ground cloth in aug-sept, that setup is sub 3lbs.

Not meaning to open a whole other can of worms but I am a tarp convert. I have a Kifaru Supertarp and you can run the tarp and piece of Tyvek sheeting on the ground and your at about a pound and a half total weight and will withstand almost anything September can throw your way. You also have the option later on to run an annex and stove which can be purchased separately. Is pitched off of your trekking poles and I am a full believer now. MSR hubba hubba, as mentioned above is also a good place to start. Seek Outside also makes some great shelters/tarps.

Not meaning to open a whole other can of worms

Me whenever tarps get brought up on beginner backing packing threads...might as well have someone bring up hammocks and quilts to round things out.

Good damn trigger words, I'm gonna go breath into a bag until @SnowyMountaineer can talk me down from another gear rant...

Last edited:
Me whenever tarps get brought up on beginner backing packing threads...might as well have someone bring up hammocks and quilts to round things out.

Good damn trigger words, I'm gonna go breath into a bag until @SnowyMountaineer can talk me down from another gear rant...

Hahaha...thats actually really funny. I didnt mean to be that guy. The superlight conversation honestly drives me nuts. Tarps are honestly just the one thing that I wish I would have just done from the beginning. I realize how much pain I brought on myself carrying around a standard 2p tent. The hammocks and quilts are for sure a whole different level. To each their own I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back