Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shelter in Place hand loading projects.

44hunter45

Who is doing what on their bench right now to pass the time? I SB re-sized about 2000 223/5.56 tonight. I'm gonna start on the trimming, primer procket swage and flash hole de-burr tomorrow. Momma has a project for me to do on Saturday, so this is a weeknight thing. I really don't need another 2 trounds of 5.56 brass. I'm thinking all this might go on GunBroker when I finish it. What I really need is to make room on the bench for my soon to arrive RCBS Chargemaster.

Over the next several months I have to work up loads for my new 280AI, and for my newish 6.5cm and 6mmBR.

I have a 222mag I need to load for. I haven't loaded bullets for that gun since the late 1990's. When it was the backyard/truck/work ground hog gun

Been loading 300 RUM, then 260 for my wife, loaded up some 44 mag today

Been slowly working on a small supply of prairie dog ammo for my .223. Seems I have 200 rounds of prepped and primed brass left and will end up having 800 rounds loaded loaded with Varget and 55gr Nosler Varmageddons. Then on to some 7mm-08/139gr GMX for a friend of mine before I dive into finishing up load development for my .338-06/210gr TTSX and a 6mm Rem/85gr TSX After that’s its production rounds for both of those along with .30-06/150gr E-tip and 243/85gr TSX. I’m sick of watching TV....

I bent the support rod on my primer pocket swager last night so the 5.56 project is on hold until I get that replaced. I guess I can move on with the trimming and flash hole work. I decided to clear the bench and do some 44 Mag. 230 grain cast HP. Taking this one into my Whitetail stand this year. I ran some test loads last week lubed only with rendered tallow from last year's buck. No leading, no pressure sign, and no stink. win-win-win. I'm going to Chrony some tomorrow. I know they are smoking hot. It's a slightly compressed charge of H110.

Have done some casting for the 45-70 and 40-65 and sizing and lubing. Then loaded some of the 45-70 with my regular load of 68 grains Goex OE 1 1/2, CCI BR2 & 535 grain Creedmoor cast 20-1. The 40-65 I then annealed 500 Starline cases. Then sized and lubed enough to do several test loads. Now waiting for our local range to thaw out and hopefully the road will melt off soon. The road is closed by the USFS due to the travel plan from Dec 1 until May 1 because it is a dedicated groomed snowmobile trail. Some springs it has been opened early due to the road drying out in April. As of yesterday it is still snow packed :( So next week I may have go shoot at the Deep Creek range west of Missoula.

Similar to @Jbotto, I am working up loads for a .223 Rem and my 338-06. Both rifles are shooting right around one MOA but with extra time and components for each thought I would see if I could find some combos that will tighten them up a bit more. So far the 223 seems to prefer IMR 3031 and V-Max in both 55 and 60 grain. Going to give Varget a try. The 338-06 will see how it likes the TTSX 210 grain, as well as, some 210 grain Partitions. It presently is shooting the TTSX 185's.

Last edited:
Similar to @Jbotto, I am working up loads for a .223 Rem and my 338-06. Both rifles are shooting right around one MOA but with extra time and components for each thought I would see if I could find some combos that will tighten them up a bit more. So far the 223 seems to prefer IMR 3031 and V-Max in both 55 and 60 grain. Going to give Varget a try. The 338-06 will see how it likes the TTSX 210 grain, as well as, some 210 grain Partitions. It presently is shooting the TTSX 185's.
Haha! Way too similar! The first load my .338-06 is currently shooting well is with 185gr TTSX’s. Always had a hankering for a good load with .223 and 60gr Vmax. Explored it a few different ways and have had good results but chose a cheaper bullet for prairie dogs.

Haha! Way too similar! The first load my .338-06 is currently shooting well is with 185gr TTSX’s. Always had a hankering for a good load with .223 and 60gr Vmax. Explored it a few different ways and have had good results but chose a cheaper bullet for prairie dogs.
I have been trying to get the Hornady SXSP 55 gr. to shoot well to save money as well. Cabelas had them on sale for $10 a box last fall, so I bought the last three boxes they had. They have a real thin jacket and will come apart at higher velocities. But group well enough for prairie dogs and plinking. The VMax 60 grains are for coyotes.

Loads pending for 3 rifles (possibly 4)...turns out I like 7mm caliber rifles
1) 280AI with 143gr Hammers and RL26...currently us 7828ssc but hoping to squeeze a bit more juice out of it
2) 7mm-08 with 140Etips and Staball 6.5
3) 7RemMag 140Etips and IMR8133

Need to get 204 Ruger with 32 gr Varmageddon and CFE223 together but that's not a priority

I have been on a revolver kick lately and have been casting .38 and .44 bullets. I'm waiting on a lubrisizer that has been on backorder since November, then I'll get them loaded up. If it wasn't for the financial uncertainty during this coronavirus time period, this would be a great time for me to get a new rifle and work up a load.

I've been working on two loads for my new Tikka; a hunting load with 140 E tips and a practice load with 140 ballistic tips. Still refining, but I think I'm close. Wish I had bought some more Varget before all this stuff happened...

I loaded 500 rounds of 9mm two weekends ago....with a Rock Chucker mind you. I was extremely tedious but I was super bored. I've got another 300 rds of 9mm brass, 500 rds of 45 ACP brass, and 250 rds of 45 long colt. With the bad weather hitting Omaha this weekend I would consider grinding that out but I need more projectiles and powder. Cant find anything though.

I have been busy reloading to 300 9mm 300 40 cal 250 rounds of 223 all on a single stage press... I have another couple hundred 9 and 40 prepped and ready to go

I just finish loading up 50 rounds of 243 for my ruger with 85 grain barnes tsx in front of superformance. Now I should have enough I can tool up and start load development on my new pre 64 model 70 in 243 as well. Also prepping brass to load a bunch more 300 win mag.
Oh, also need to start working on my dad's new 257 Ackley. I'm really looking forward to that one.

I have RL-26, a bunch of Hammers and ADG brass. Various cartridges. Just need some time (still working) and for our range to open. mtmuley

I'm in the same boat pard...I have gathered up two "new rifles" to use; a Kimber 84L Classic in .270Win and a Bergara B-14 300WM. I have spent some time/money on some components I wanted to try in each. I have work up loads all set for each now...just waiting on the Range I use. I have a place (its BLM land out in the desert) to shoot, but since I don't have a truck anymore, I won't take my wife's nice sedan out there, ha. Too much short sage to drive by...no way I'm scratching her car! lol

I've loaded 500 rounds of 204 and 223 using 40gr Vamax bullets for prairie dogs. Also loaded 150 25-06AI using 100gr TTSX, 150 300 RUM using 175LRX, 100 300 WSM using 175 LRX and am doing load development for a pair of Howa Alpine's in 6.5 Creed and 7mm-08.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back