Setting up my TC Hawken for CO?

wisconsinteacher

I'm planning on elk hunting in CO next year. I have a .50 TC Hawken and would like to use it. I've shot some NoExcuse bullets and they did well at the range. If you were to set up a Hawken, what powder/bullet out you try?

No Excuses are heavy and slow and IMO penetrate better, but recoil is substantial.

Thors are lighter, faster, recoil less and penetrate less. In my limited experience with Thors (a muley buck and an antelope doe), both got about 18" of penetration and stopped under the hide on the far side.

Thanks!

On all of my "Hawken" style sidelocks, I've always spent the few dollars and upgraded to a musket cap nipple and musket caps. The musket caps are SO much easier to handle and take on and off than the 11s and they throw so much more flame.

I also like loose Triple 7 in that setup. It's easier to ignite the Pyrodex and easier to clean in my opinion. Plus you will get better performance/velocity. I think a musket cap and Triple 7 will likely always go bang.

Your No Excuses should work, not sure what grain you are shooting, but the super heavy/super long bullets may not stabilize as well with that twist. However, if they shot well for you then you should be good. NE doesn't make a bullet that won't kill an elk - even their "lighter" ones. I am a big fan of the Trophy Copper Federal BOR Locks. I have never shot them in a Hawken, but they shoot well in everything else I've used. I like that they "size to the barrel" when you shoot them so it cuts down on the need for a perfect bullet/barrel fit.

I'd also splurge on some fiber optic sights or a peep/globe for your setup. For me sights are the limiting factor in a scope-less ML, but my vision sucks.

I have fiber optic sights on the rifle!! I will try some BOR Locks too just to see how they compare. I will also look into the musket cap and Triple 7.

I shot a cow elk with my Hawken 2 falls ago in Colorado. Mine liked 90gr Pyrodex P, 11 cap and 350gr Maxi hunters. I could hold a 3-4” group at 100 yards and drill the bullseye out at 50. Cow elk was 30 yards broadside and the bullet was between the hide and ribs off side. She went about 3 feet before falling over.

.54 Lyman Deerstalker here. I’ll practice all damn day with #11. But come to hunting and I swap that nipple with a musket cap. Big fire and never a misfire if my powder is dry. I fell out of favor with Pyrodex fouling and still have a can of Alliant black, though that’s now discontinued. I think American Pioneer Powder 2f is same as what I shoot.

I'd use the 420 grain No Excuses and probably no more than 80-85 grains of FFG 777. The shorter bullet (vs the 460) will stabilize better in the 1:48, with no keyholing, and 80 grains is plenty behind that hunk of lead. 777 is NOT 1:1 for black powder, and that is a big slug, calling for a modest reduction in powder charge from normal in-line loads. Limit your shots to 100 yards or less. I'd stick with the no 11 magnum caps, maybe a hot nipple design, and I'd use a polymer ramrod to avoid breakage.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back