Caribou Gear

Sell me a deep fryer

Irrelevant

We're at peak fish stick season here. We're not huge deep fryers, but between razor clams and perch/halibut/rockfish we do about one fry a month. I'd like to get a dedicated deep fryer for better temperature control. What does the HT braintrust think?

If you buy an indoor electric one do not go cheap. I went cheap and they don't hold temperature very well...which sucks. Bought a middle of the road one price wise and it was night and day better.
I also have one with a basket for my outside burner that works awesome. Very similar to the one in the pic.

Screenshot_20210217-191447_Chrome.jpg

I have a large dinged basket (similar to the pic above) that I use on my 3 burner camp stove. On the hi -heat burner it does great for a fish n Chips or wings get together and keeps the oil overspray outside which gets me bonus points from the Mrs!

Bayou Classic 4.5 gal. Best gas fryer that’s not restaurant grade. You can thank me later. 😎

I use the wok my grandparents gave me in 1982. Sometimes over a gas burner, sometimes inside. I wish I had a dedicated burner for it, but 60k btu on a 3 burner campchef is usually enough.

I have this:

It’s always worked just fine. I’d probably look into Weston if I needed another one. Heck the ones you can find at kohl’s seem just fine to me.
I use the presto model too. I have one at home and one at the hunting cabin. It cooks great and is pretty easy to clean.

So my preferences are 1 gal or so, precise temp control, and easy clean. I don't want to be storing 5 gallons of used oil. We have gas inside and out. And I've been using a cast iron Dutch oven, but the temp control isn't good enough.

I just got done frying some bluegiils in my electric fryer but prefer to use a 10” cast iron Dutch oven on the gas stove.
This is the same thing I do too, Plus I use a temp probe to monitor the temp.

To the OP
For once a month having a gallon or more for a traditional deep fryer of that stinky used oil would not be advisable. The big Dutch oven we use considerably less and it has a pour spot cast into the pot. After it cools we pour it back into the bottle thru a coffee filter and seal it back up till next month. It’s a slow process but yields good results.

I have the big presto, came with 3 baskets only use largest. Its set up in garage, takes 20 ish mins to heat peatnut oil. I dont drain often just put cover on, its cool out there. We dont use it a lot but super handy and best advice is go bigger than you need. Enjoy...

I have the big presto, came with 3 baskets only use largest. Its set up in garage, takes 20 ish mins to heat peatnut oil. I dont drain often just put cover on, its cool out there. We dont use it a lot but super handy and best advice is go bigger than you need. Enjoy...
X-2 I have the same one use it at least once a week. Strain the oil with cheese cloth about every month.

I've always been against buying a deep fryer... until I bought one... Why did I wait so long?!?! Best chicken wings I've ever made!

Don't cheap out and cook outside or it'll stink up the whole house. I have a T-Fal with the auto drain which makes cleaning easy. I've used mine in winter all the way to -40C with no issues, just make sure you bring it in the house to cool down otherwise it'll freeze.

I've used mine in winter all the way to -40C with no issues, just make sure you bring it in the house to cool down otherwise it'll freeze.
Not sure I have to worry about oil freezing down here. Our low temp at the house was 8 or 9 F.

edit: I do have to worry. Canola freezes at 14 F

I've had a T-Fal model, some Fry Daddy's (gf left the plastic/rubber lid on the last one while it was heating & melted it all down) and currently have a Faberware one that works well for me and the gf. I never get a huge one since I'll use an outdoor one for large crowds, and as a side bonus the outdoor one works well for melting down lead (with a different pan of course).

Not sure I have to worry about oil freezing down here. Our low temp at the house was 8 or 9 F.

edit: I do have to worry. Canola freezes at 14 F

Yeah, the oil won't freeze, BUT, the condensation inside the deep fryer will and you risk breaking stuff. Whenever I deep fry in cold temps it gets covered in water/condensation.

Also, get some of that Sasky canola in ya!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back