Caribou Gear

Scouting during archery season

MtnElk

What are the norms / ethics / common courtesies around scouting trips during archery season?

I've created a progression list of spots in my unit to check out as my rifle seasons get closer and closer, and that means some visits will coincide with archery / muzzleloader seasons.

Obviously I won't be carrying a megaphone around and spooking elk, but wanted to see if there were unwritten rules I should know about.

I think common courtesy would apply. Of course, its public hunting ground so a lot fo those rules are tossed out by many. Maybe avoid peak hunt times (early morning/ last light).

Just don't suck at scouting. Don't call, get to a good glassing spot and just hang out.

I've definitely had jebronis from the midwest traipsing all over the mountain blowing out everything before the season opens.

Gotta love hushin bros normalizing walking around with your 6 best friends in the woods holding hands.

When you find where the bulls are hanging during archery, and if you'd like them to avoid being skewered, head right into their living room. Take a bunch of thumbtacks and dozens of these:
41HoxFwRsEL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

The only (previously unwritten) rule is that you send me GPS coords of any elk you see during archery and pictures (good ones - so I don't have to struggle to count the points) of any 6x6 or larger bulls. Then stay at the trailhead until I get there so you can guide me to the best spot and help me carry the meat out. ;)

Not really qualified with experience but I would think about if you were archery hunting and someone wanted to scout, how would you want them to act and go. Be mindful of thermals just as if you were hunting so as not to blow elk out of there were hunters around you didn't know were there. If you hear bugles I probably wouldn't try to get that closer look as it may be a hunter or a bull being hunted, keep the distance and glass for him.

Not really qualified with experience but I would think about if you were archery hunting and someone wanted to scout, how would you want them to act and go. Be mindful of thermals just as if you were hunting so as not to blow elk out of there were hunters around you didn't know were there. If you hear bugles I probably wouldn't try to get that closer look as it may be a hunter or a bull being hunted, keep the distance and glass for him.
Best answer so far, Benny Boy!
Also, posts #3 #8 #12…

What are the norms / ethics / common courtesies around scouting trips during archery season?

I've created a progression list of spots in my unit to check out as my rifle seasons get closer and closer, and that means some visits will coincide with archery / muzzleloader seasons.

Obviously I won't be carrying a megaphone around and spooking elk, but wanted to see if there were unwritten rules I should know about.
I've archery hunted my share of seasons, but in recent years, I've opted out of that. However, I'm retired, and have a fleet of horses, mules and burros. The reason I have them, is that my thing is using them in the backcountry, both on day rides and pack in camp trips. September to me, is the best time to be out there, as it's cooler for the animals on the trail, beautiful Fall colors, and great camping. I'll be darned if I'll stay home because of hunters. In fact, I run into them on Forest trails and visit with them most of the time, and I'm sure they're not thrilled to see 4 equines coming down the trail, but yeah it's public land.

I’d say stick to trails or close to them, and use your glass to do most of the walking. If I’m hunting near a trail and someone bumps elk out, that’s on me. However, if I’m miles away from the nearest road/trail and as I’m closing in on a herd and they suddenly blow out because of some dude (who’s not even hunting) crashing through the brush, I’m gonna be pretty frustrated.
But to be fair: it’s public land and technically you can do whatever you want.

I’d say stick to trails or close to them, and use your glass to do most of the walking. If I’m hunting near a trail and someone bumps elk out, that’s on me. However, if I’m miles away from the nearest road/trail and as I’m closing in on a herd and they suddenly blow out because of some dude (who’s not even hunting) crashing through the brush, I’m gonna be pretty frustrated.
But to be fair: it’s public land and technically you can do whatever you want.
My plan is to check out my glassing spots, let’s the glass do the walking and just get intel on the spots I’ve picked out. Not trying to get so close that I can smell them. Just confirmation that my spots hold elk and might still hold them a month later. I also have a plan for getting from point to point that shouldn’t interfere with anyone’s stalk / calling. Not looking to be THAT guy. 😂

Back