Scammer Alert- Muddyboots

oxn939

Member muddyboots replied to my thread wanting to buy a Labradar chronograph. Screenshots of our conversation:

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 3.50.41 PM.png

Despite them saying that they were the first owner, I found the same pictures, which they had, evidently, ripped off another forum, on a thread for a transaction that happened months ago.

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 3.50.30 PM.png

I contacted the OP of the thread on that site and they confirmed that they had indeed owned and sold the chronograph, making muddyboots' claim to be the original owner impossible. Muddyboots also balked at my request to use PayPal, instead requesting a money order. Since I called muddyboots out, they have predictably gone radio silent. Also, all of muddyboots' posts seem to be buying or selling, with the exception of one request thread that is punctuated with poor grammar as if written by a bot or someone who does not speak English well.

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 4.01.10 PM.png

Muddyboots appears by all indications to be a scammer. Beware.

Member muddyboots replied to my thread wanting to buy a Labradar chronograph. Screenshots of our conversation:

View attachment 206605

Despite them saying that they were the first owner, I found the same pictures, which they had, evidently, ripped off another forum, on a thread for a transaction that happened months ago.

View attachment 206606

I contacted the OP of the thread on that site and they confirmed that they had indeed owned and sold the chronograph, making muddyboots' claim to be the original owner impossible. Muddyboots also balked at my request to use PayPal, instead requesting a money order. Since I called muddyboots out, they have predictably gone radio silent. Also, all of muddyboots' posts seem to be buying or selling, with the exception of one request thread that is punctuated with poor grammar as if written by a bot or someone who does not speak English well.

View attachment 206610

Muddyboots appears by all indications to be a scammer. Beware.
He's a regular at LRH and the Hammer site. Guess you can never tell. As for PayPal, I won't use them either. mtmuley

Yup...I got that feeling when he was offering up a Mystery Ranch Marshall but had no proof...Good on you for finding him out and good on Big Fin for getting him out of here!

Just a thought. Could it be his account was hacked? He is a pretty stand up guy from what I’ve seen on other forums.

Just a thought. Could it be his account was hacked? He is a pretty stand up guy from what I’ve seen on other forums.

Possible. There are also bots that will copy usernames from other forums and make an account to steal the legitimate owner's credibility- I would guess it was something like this, as the other accounts with that handle write very differently than the individual who contacted me.

It's not difficult to find someone on a related site who has a lot of post and solid reputation and create a new user account on a competing forum (like this one). Impersonating and then scamming is common.

Are there two similar user names? I thought Muddyboots posted a lot outside of the sales section. I feel like I have to be thinking of someone else.

I wish I would have seen this. He posted for my wtb add for mystery ranch Metcalf and f’d me over. What a flipping Xmas present. Was trying to find a good set up for my son to
Match what I have and we’ll, so much for that Xmas present. Needless to say, my son is disappointed and I’m pissed.

Is there any way to protect yourself from scammers like this?
Ask for a verification photo of the item, with a paper of today's date and their username. This ensures they actually have the item. They also almost always will claim to have an issue with a payment method so they need to use something else.

I wish I would have seen this. He posted for my wtb add for mystery ranch Metcalf and f’d me over. What a flipping Xmas present. Was trying to find a good set up for my son to
Match what I have and we’ll, so much for that Xmas present. Needless to say, my son is disappointed and I’m pissed.
WTB is automatic magmatic for scammers

Ask for a verification photo of the item, with a paper of today's date and their username. This ensures they actually have the item. They also almost always will claim to have an issue with a payment method so they need to use something else.
This is a good idea but no guarantee. I've seen post it notes with the day and username Photoshoped into photos before. Just last night there was a thread about one of these on another forum. Looking closely at it you could tell, but a quick look might not have caught it.

If they won't take PayPal G&S I get suspicious pretty quickly.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back