Salt Lake City, Utah New Hunter

Simon_Jiron

Hi Guys! I am a 26 year-old Utah resident and have always wanted to go hunting. I grew up around guns and in boy scouts but never got the opportunity to stalk and hunt. It would be awesome to find a group close to me and to be able to learn the ropes to elk and deer hunt. I know that is more wishful thinking but I still want to try and learn all I can from this community!

Welcome to HuntTalk

Couple of things to do up front......

complete hunters safety training

get familiar with your weapon(s) of choice----target practice on paper or clay before living creatures

devour the rules/regulations of any hunt you may undertake--failure to follow the law is $$painful, dangerous

take advantage of the information highway--youtube, books, seminars (Elk Hunting University as an example)

Welcome to HuntTalk

Couple of things to do up front......

complete hunters safety training

get familiar with your weapon(s) of choice----target practice on paper or clay before living creatures

devour the rules/regulations of any hunt you may undertake--failure to follow the law is $$painful, dangerous

take advantage of the information highway--youtube, books, seminars (Elk Hunting University as an example)

Really good advice from @kansasdad. There is a local Lion's Club gun range in Bountiful that you can join and the DNR and Cabelas often have seminars/events that help with the learning curve. Check out their calendars and feel free to shoot an occasional PM my way if you have questions.

Hi Guys! I am a 26 year-old Utah resident and have always wanted to go hunting. I grew up around guns and in boy scouts but never got the opportunity to stalk and hunt. It would be awesome to find a group close to me and to be able to learn the ropes to elk and deer hunt. I know that is more wishful thinking but I still want to try and learn all I can from this community!
Welcome from CO.

I was in your shoes 20+ years ago. Got the bug by going dove hunting with a co-worker. Downhill from there. Hit up your buddies, ask to tag along. There are bound to be some UT members here.

Welcome to HT! Look forward to reading and viewing pics of your adventures as you step into hunting.

Lots of great info here.

Welcome from SD! There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, don't be afraid to reach out an ask questions. Sometimes you just have to go out and start learning on your own. I have had to do that here in SD. Before hunting in SD, I had only hunted black tailed deer in Alaska, so I taught myself how to hunt whitetail and pronghorn, and Elk next month. I'm by no means an expert, but don't feel like you have to find a group to teach you all the ropes. Learning is half the fun!

If you need any help or tips, don't hesitate to drop me a message and I will give you as much knowledge as I can.

Welcome from a little bit east of you. All great advice above. I would try not to get too hunt up on the trophy-ness of the big game available in Utah. They're out there but very highly sought after. Every animal is a trophy regardless of score, antler size, or instagram popularity. Utah has many great opportunities, best of luck!

Welcome from WI. Hope you get the bug and become a lifelong hunter. Lots of good information here - the search function can be very useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back