MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sako Bavarian 25-06

nhenry

I have my eyes on this beautiful Sako Bavarian left-handed 25-06. Knowing the quality of Sako rifles, I haven’t been too worried I’d get a bad rifle or anything. I am, however, curious about one aspect of it: the 22.5” barrel. All of my other 25-06’s, along with all of my family’s, have been 24-26”. Would the shorter barrel be a hindrance on hunting, or does Sako know what they’re doing with it? I handload and could figure something out, but would my current loads do worse? I’m not a target shooter by any means, and only want a solid hunting rifle that I can use til I grow feeble.

That’s a beautiful rifle, and I love my Sako 85. I wouldn’t worry at all about a .25-06 with a 22.5” barrel. In something that classic looking I’d go with a 6.5x55 though...

That’s a beautiful rifle, and I love my Sako 85. I wouldn’t worry at all about a .25-06 with a 22.5” barrel. In something that classic looking I’d go with a 6.5x55 though...
I’d normally agree with that but my handloading operation is set around .25 caliber. It’s also very sentimental because that is the cartridge my family has used since its creation

You sure did pick a pretty one! I can’t speak to that Sako but Howa builds their 25-06 with 22 inch barrel as well. I just picked one up but haven’t gotten everything I need to start shooting it yet. I did get good reviews from the guys on here tho, had the same concern. Hard to beat a 25-06

You sure did pick a pretty one! I can’t speak to that Sako but Howa builds their 25-06 with 22 inch barrel as well. I just picked one up but haven’t gotten everything I need to start shooting it yet. I did get good reviews from the guys on here tho, had the same concern. Hard to beat a 25-06
If you start shooting that before I buy the rifle please do tell how it goes.

I don't think it would be a hindrance on hunting, but what many like about the .25-06 is the velocity it develops and you'll lose some with a shorter barrel. It may be a bit louder to shoot too. If that doesn't bother you than it shouldn't be a problem.

I have my eyes on this beautiful Sako Bavarian left-handed 25-06. Knowing the quality of Sako rifles, I haven’t been too worried I’d get a bad rifle or anything. I am, however, curious about one aspect of it: the 22.5” barrel. All of my other 25-06’s, along with all of my family’s, have been 24-26”. Would the shorter barrel be a hindrance on hunting, or does Sako know what they’re doing with it? I handload and could figure something out, but would my current loads do worse? I’m not a target shooter by any means, and only want a solid hunting rifle that I can use til I grow feeble.

Shoot, get it! What could it possibly do because of a barrel 1 1/2" shorter than we might call normal to mess you up. Short actions I like max 22" barrel' down to 20". Long action's I like 24" barrels. No particular reason that would make any difference just a head game I play with myself. Know a guy here in Oregon that hunts with a 300 Win Mag and he had the barrel cut to 18" or so he claims. Must be a heck of a flame when he pulls the trigger but I'd bet everything he shoots with it falls down!

That sounds like an awesome rifle, I wouldn't get too caught up in the barrel length.

That sounds like an awesome rifle, I wouldn't get too caught up in the barrel length.
I’m trying not to but since I don’t have a chrono, I’ve had to rely on word of mouth about the changes in velocity of 25-06. I don’t want it to be any less effective than it has for me, as everything shot with it out of my Ruger m77 26” has been a “bang, flop”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back