Road Travel - How to Determine if Road is Accessible While eScouting

dragginwood

Hello Folks:

I recently completed my first Western adventure in attempting to fill a Elk-B tag in SE Montana. After scouring this site and pouring over every bit of content, I thought I was well prepared for a pack into the back country.. It didn't take long to realize that I was far from as prepared as I thought I was; my access routes to kick off the trip were all blocked and I soon found myself on Plan E/F before even stepping out of the truck.(Not counting the quick step out to evaluate the "Road Closed" barricades and suppress the urge to load up and shoot off the locks). I was well prepared for the woods, but couldn't get to them....

I ran into two issues that I hadn't anticipated: 1. Roads traversing Private that were gated and closed. 2. Parks that do not allow overnight parking, and consequently no camping. My back country adventure quickly turned into a road trip; scouring the unit for every track of road available and driving it in attempt to find a suitable starting point.

I attempted to do a post-mortem to look and see if I could find a better way to identify reliable access points, and haven't been able to dig any sound advice up. Would appreciate any advice or tips on how you guys research and determine if a road is accessible/navigable. I've heard "Big Fin" mention calling the road service, but there has to be a better way?

I've heard "Big Fin" mention calling the road service, but there has to be a better way?

There isn't one that I've found, generally speaking when I'm out in that part of the world I plan to camp on BLM, sometimes this just means parking off the side of the road if it traverses a piece of BLM and there isn't a better access point. I always go either to the county website/GIS department and get a map or call the road services/maintenance/snow removal department about road access, it is painful but it is what it is... I imagine this is something Onx is looking at.

It isn't easy. If the road has a name or number and is on the map, you can assume it is a public road. That doesn't mean you won't find a lock on it. Someone may be betting that you won't call the Sheriff or FWS to get it removed. If I see a road that connects to another road at both ends, I assume it is open. If the road dead-ends, like a lot of roads do in the national forests, the ones that are a problem will typically be those that go through a private block. In escouting, look for "parking areas" before the private block. You will not be the only hunter who has encountered that problem and everyone else may have just pulled off to the side to park and walked from that point.
Hope that helps.

Looking back at old threads, this one really strikes home. So difficult to determine if a road will be closed prior to seeing it. Keeps me up at night as we get closer to season

Roads and trails get closed by mother nature often here in Idaho. Carry chains for all 4, many hunts I take a chainsaw.

I will air my frustrations as well. Gearing up for my antelope hunt in Eastern MT, I can't find anywhere on if it is legal or not to drive on BLM/State Land if it has a "two track" but not necessarily named or numbered. I understand when it crosses private that it is then a private road, but if it starts on public is it public up to that point? Is driving on it legal?

I will air my frustrations as well. Gearing up for my antelope hunt in Eastern MT, I can't find anywhere on if it is legal or not to drive on BLM/State Land if it has a "two track" but not necessarily named or numbered. I understand when it crosses private that it is then a private road, but if it starts on public is it public up to that point? Is driving on it legal?

Yes as long as it's not gated. If you go to to the BLM website they often have maps.

In Montana, you are not allowed to drive on State Land Trust land unless it is a public road. Not saying it doesn't happen, but...

Hello Folks:

I recently completed my first Western adventure in attempting to fill a Elk-B tag in SE Montana. After scouring this site and pouring over every bit of content, I thought I was well prepared for a pack into the back country.. It didn't take long to realize that I was far from as prepared as I thought I was; my access routes to kick off the trip were all blocked and I soon found myself on Plan E/F before even stepping out of the truck.(Not counting the quick step out to evaluate the "Road Closed" barricades and suppress the urge to load up and shoot off the locks). I was well prepared for the woods, but couldn't get to them....

I ran into two issues that I hadn't anticipated: 1. Roads traversing Private that were gated and closed. 2. Parks that do not allow overnight parking, and consequently no camping. My back country adventure quickly turned into a road trip; scouring the unit for every track of road available and driving it in attempt to find a suitable starting point.

I attempted to do a post-mortem to look and see if I could find a better way to identify reliable access points, and haven't been able to dig any sound advice up. Would appreciate any advice or tips on how you guys research and determine if a road is accessible/navigable. I've heard "Big Fin" mention calling the road service, but there has to be a better way?
That is why Fin always says he's trade two days of hunting for another day of scouting (or something like that). Just be glad your sorting it out now and not during season.

For National forest land it is easier. You can view MVUM's (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) for all parts of the National Forest and they list all open maintained roads, seasonal roads, motorcycle and ATV trails. There is a MVUM layer on OnX, and you can turn on that layer on the Colorado Hunt Atlas. BLM you have to order a map or call. If the road crosses private, I usually assume that it is not open.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back