Rifle Press for rifle reloading, what do I buy?

blue devil

I'm looking at RCBS, possibly a used press, but didn't know if the RC5 is a large enough press for .280 caliber and below? What is suggested for .280 maybe even someday .300 caliber?

Almost all of the "O" frame presses are good. If you don't plan to move it around much, a big heavy press like a Rock Chucker should last a lifetime. I use an old Lyman turret press for most of my reloading, an old Pacific "C" frame press for heavy duty loading and an aluminum Lee "O" frame press for travel. The Lee will handle big cartridges, but the toggle is not very strong and can break.

RCBS Rockchucker will be fine for .280 .....it will do most everything until you get up around 50 cal.

I would get a Redding if it were me, I've had good luck with their stuff. But there's very little real difference between brands when it comes to presses.

When I load, I process a bunch of cartridges one step at a time, so I have no real need for a progressive loading press. The one thing that I do not do is prime cases in the press. It is too easy to put too much pressure on the primers with the press and seat them too deeply. I have used a Lee autoprime for years, but most reloading equipment manufacturers have hand primers available. I bag my prepped and primed cases 100 at a time and am ready to load them with whatever load I decide. Each bag is dated and marked with the primer used and number of times fired.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back