Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rem 7MM Mag

Brock-ID

Last spring when my father died I ended up with his Rem 7MM Mag. I don't shoot a rifle very often but I want to keep this and I am looking for a recommendation on what ammo you would recommend. Like I said I don't have a big need for a rifle but I would like to own one that I could take a mule deer at a extended range if I ever feel the need. Do you recommend a bullet weight/type/brand? Is there a web site I could look at to see what the ballistics are? Thanks for your input.

Berger VLD's in 140, 168, and 180 seem to be popular long range ammo in 7mm. Some of the best BC's available in any caliber.

Hodgdon.com has some good data

I shoot the Hornady 154gr interbond for elk and mule deer and the Hornady 154gr sst for antelope. This works for me.

If your looking for factory loaded ammo hard to beat federal ammo also Hornady superformance and HSM ammo with the berger vlds is great stuff anthing in the 165 180 range packs more then enough punch for most anything on the continent.
http://thebestofthewest.net/bc-program.html This is a great BC program that is free to use on the web. Good luck lets see some pics of your gem.

I know many like the VLDs for long range work, but I've heard of some strange things happening with them. For long range work only, you might consider them, but if you're looking for an all-around bullet with good accuracy potential and high BC, you should go with the 160gr Nosler Accubond. The results will be much more predictable, and if you get a close, quartering shot the penetration will be good.

I guess maybe you should define "extended range" first. The advantages of the VLDs start to appear once you get on the far side of 500-600 yards. This side of that range, something like an Accubond will still have plenty of punch to take a mule deer when pushed out of 7mm.

What kind of accuracy is the rifle capable of?

If you`re only planning on using it for deer, use whatever bullet in the 140-160 range is most accurate. I settled on the 160 Accubond for mine, but it doubles as my elk gun.

I shoot factory ammo in my 7mm Mag and haven't decided between the 160g accubond and the 150g E-tip. The E-tip shoots a tiny bit better out of my rifle, but has a tiny bit less energy too.

I've recoverd both out of animals and the E-tip stays together and expands a little bit better on the ones I've recovered.

Brock,

I'd be careful listening to some of the advice posted here.

I would not remove Berger bullets from your concideration becasue belly "heard strange things happen with them" . I'd really like to see some proof of this.

There are plenty of other brands and weights of bullets that will give you good penetration on quartering away shots. Not Just 160 noslers as Belly said.

You will notice a difference in performance in a 160 nosler with a bc of .531 and a Berger 168 or 180 with a bc of .617 and .659 well under 500 yards as Belly claimed you wouldnt.

To say that Bergers don't work at short ranges but do work at long ranges is simply not true in my experience. There are lots of great bullets other than nosler 160 accubonds and trying many different combinations in your gun should help you find what it shoots best.

I would not assume that you will get "more predictable results with 160 grain noslers" as Belly said, than other brands and weights of bullets. Each gun is a little different and may like somthing better than 160 noslers.

Honestly ? I have two, A Weatherby Vanguard & a Smith & Wesson1500. Both will shoot Plain Jane 150gr. Remington's at under an inch. Good place to start.

I shoot Winchester power point 150 and 175 grain factory ammo. Killed what I hit out to 300 yards. Elk and deer.

Brock,

I'd be careful listening to some of the advice posted here.

I would not remove Berger bullets from your concideration becasue belly "heard strange things happen with them" . I'd really like to see some proof of this.

Go search over on 24hourcampfire for berger disasters. I know that people use them with success, but their failure rate seems to be higher than more conventional hunting bullets. Those guys over there have pictures and the experience to prove it. I don't because I'll never hunt with such a risky bullet (that gives no measurable advantage at common ranges).

And Brock, wyoming556 is right. You should be careful listening to some of the advice posted on here.

You will notice a difference in performance in a 160 nosler with a bc of .531 and a Berger 168 or 180 with a bc of .617 and .659 well under 500 yards as Belly claimed you wouldnt.

I didn't claim that at all. My point was that up until the 500 yard mark, Bergers have no magical advantage over the Accubond.

Search the internet for any type of bullet and you will find people's disaster stories. I've also heard lots of "Accubomb" failure stories. No internet stories would prevent me from trying different bullets...people get way to worked up over bullets, calibers, etc.. If you listen to 1/2 the people out there, a .270 isn't capable of killing an elk.

I've shot 4 elk with the 168 berger, all under 50 yards. Devastating results. Hit em' in the right spot, and any decent bullet will do the job just fine.

Its pretty tough to top a nosler bullet for hunting...in particular a partition.

I'd shoot 160's myself and if only using it for mule deer, I'd look closely at the accu-bonds as well. If you reload 4831 in IMR, or H have been good to me in the 7mm.

H4831, 160 partition, cci 250 mag primer, WW brass....and a factory 700 bdl:

IMG_2931.JPG

Last edited:
Everyone is pretty passionate about bullets, I appreciate everyone's input. My idea of extended range is 500 yards. I am pretty new to rifle hunting and don't know allot about bullets and BC, I have been a Bowhunter since 1981 and my idea of extended range for a bow is 50 yards.

No real proof of claims, infact quite the opposite on everything I read at 24hourcampfire. And yes there is a difference in flight performance depending on the BC of the bullet, not the brand. No magic, just math. You can confirm this at bestoftehwest or huskemaw on their bc calculator.

Anything else belly?

I've never shot Bergers but the best 7mm bullet I have shot is the 162 gr. Hornady A-Max. It has a BC of .625 and perfrorms great in cross winds.

I shoot the 150 gr nosler balistic silver tip on everything up to mule deer size, and then a 160 or 175 partition on elk. The bal tip is a very accurate bullet, I have killed deer as far as 466 yards with it. I have also shot the Etip on one elk. I like these for the polymer tip, a little better accuracy than the partition, but I was still happier with the job the partition does. Personally I feel this is each guys prefernce, and any of the good bullets through the boiler room will do the job.

I've never shot Bergers but the best 7mm bullet I have shot is the 162 gr. Hornady A-Max. It has a BC of .625 and perfrorms great in cross winds.

I'd shy away from the A-Max for hunting purposes. Never shot it myself, but when the manufacturer does not recommend their own bullet for hunting...I'd be leery.

Brock-ID said:
Everyone is pretty passionate about bullets, I appreciate everyone's input. My idea of extended range is 500 yards. I am pretty new to rifle hunting and don't know allot about bullets and BC, I have been a Bowhunter since 1981 and my idea of extended range for a bow is 50 yards.

Yep..you want to start a pissin' match, just ask about favorite bullets. If I were you I'd try a couple..Noslers, Bergers, etc. whatever your gun likes the best, that's what I would use. Don't worry too much about all the long range BS if you are keeping shots under 500 yards.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back