Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Reflections, NM 16E 2021 Late Cow

ShadowValley

I drew the late cow tag in 16E this year and I'm curious how others who had the tag did. I felt like we (buddy, his son, and I) hunted pretty hard, wore out the boot leather and covered as much of the unit as we could from east to west, north to south. First morning stalked in on a gigantic 6X7 bull and that was the only elk seen all hunt. Couldn't find any fresh sign, didn't hear a single gun shot, and all the hunters we talked to seemed to be saying the same things. It was still a wonderful trip, especially considering how bad the hunting was, and I learned some lessons along the way.

Historically the second cow hunt in 16E has a 42% successful harvest rate, was this just an off year or was I overlooking something obvious?

I drew the late cow tag in 16E this year and I'm curious how others who had the tag did. I felt like we (buddy, his son, and I) hunted pretty hard, wore out the boot leather and covered as much of the unit as we could from east to west, north to south. First morning stalked in on a gigantic 6X7 bull and that was the only elk seen all hunt. Couldn't find any fresh sign, didn't hear a single gun shot, and all the hunters we talked to seemed to be saying the same things. It was still a wonderful trip, especially considering how bad the hunting was, and I learned some lessons along the way.

Historically the second cow hunt in 16E has a 42% successful harvest rate, was this just an off year or was I overlooking something obvious?

Unit is average at best on high moisture years. Plan on a hiking trip instead of a hunting when it’s dry. Second archery hunt has had single digit success the last few years.

Every year is different out there. Lots of feed on the Plains this year late. And these elk can move when they want, a long ways.

Every year is different out there. Lots of feed on the Plains this year late. And these elk can move when they want, a long ways.

Yeah that's what I figured that it was just an off year for the unit/this hunt. Saw your thread where it sounds like you had a great year though, congratulations!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back