Delete

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I had a friend have a really close call with a refilled one pounder when we were hunting in Saskatchewan. It started leaking and caught on fire while in a box blind. Luckily he pitched the whole works out the door and it went out but kept leaking til gas was gone.

I don’t use refilled cylinders or refill them anymore.

I don’t use refilled cylinders or refill them anymore.
Same thing happened to a buddy and I a couple years ago when we were hunting deer in Wyoming.
We were in our GP small tent (base camp) at the time. He unzipped the door as fast as he could and I chucked the Buddy heater/tank outside as fast as possible.
Pucker factor for sure.....

You never qualified that at first. Where are you carrying propane operated equipment and still need to be lightweight?
I manually drag my ice fishing gear 99% of the time (personal “earn” my beers thing I do). Most of the time I can get my sled’s weight to about 100 lbs. I scrutinize want vs. need and a larger propane is a want. My Coleman lantern is dual purpose, heat and light. I cut my tackle box from ~15 to 2 lbs this year.

I manually drag my ice fishing gear 99% of the time (personal “earn” my beers thing I do). Most of the time I can get my sled’s weight to about 100 lbs. I scrutinize want vs. need and a larger propane is a want. My Coleman lantern is dual purpose, heat and light. I cut my tackle box from ~15 to 2 lbs this year.
Same here though I drag a Mr. Buddy heater and use a headlamp for light. Those little 5lb bottles work great but not really well for a lantern without a propane tree setup which would likely be top heavy.

I think I'd investigate the refillable propane system linked before. Seems like the safest and most efficient route. I considered one of those simple adapters to fill tanks but heard a lot of issues and then just opted for the adapters for a tank system.

EDIT: maybe something like this would work....Mr Buddy Compact Distribution Post

Tried and tried it and was never happy with the results. A brother-in-law use to manage an LP distribution station and had delivered and dealt with it for years. He is wicked smart about everything, he highly advised against it and was not happy I was trying it. I tried and tried, then had a couple close calls and decided it just wasn't worth it. You can never get them as full as the store bought ones, major pain in the arse! And if you do you're probably going to have venting problems. You blow something up with one, your insurance isn't helping with anything as far as property, let alone the possibility of great bodily harm, your death or killing someone you care about. All for diy stuff to a fault and saving pennies, but there's just to much risk vs reward with flammable vapors imo. Especially when something is designed for one and done, and is across the board and consistently problematic to the point there's so many close calls.

It does seem pretty silly trying to save a couple of $$ and possibly putting lives at risk when we're spending hundreds or ever thousands of dollars when we go hunting. :rolleyes:

There are definitely several ways to look at this one.

1. Some people read all the warning labels. leave the guards on grinders, have pets wear seat belts, make kids wear helmets/elbowpads/gloves when riding bikes, leave tags on mattresses, motorcycle with helmet, full safety gear when running chain saw including chaps and face shield, like the safety features of the new lawnmower, etc and that's fine and dandy. But not the only way to do things. These people always buy new small propane bottles and read the label when they get home.

2. And there are also people who don't need or read all the warning stickers, use common sense as opposed to being over cautious, ride motorcycles with no helmet, take the guards off grinders, let kids ride bikes with no safety gear, let the dog ride in the truck with no seat belt, remove labels from mattresses, hates the safety features on mower, run a chain saw with nothing but sunglasses and gloves, etc.. These people will refill little bottles from a 5 pound never paying attention to labels.

3. And then there is one step further for the real country folks, farmers, ranchers, cheap skates, etc... Throw caution into the wind and do what's cheapest. They actually fill the small and medium sized bottles from their large tanks at the house. Even the 100 pounders can be filled off your big tank if you have the right valve. This is considered 1 step short of suicide for crowd #1 as this is just plain terrifying. Dog rides in back of truck year round, may or may not have glasses when running chain saw, disconnects safety features on tractor, so they can use it, no seat belts, don't own safety gear for kids bike riding, doesn't own a grinder with a guard, etc... These people don't use little bottles much as they are a waste of $.

So which one are you?

Last edited:
Check out the injury and fatality rates for farmers. That's not a good role model for safety.

It might be my ingrained safety pounding from my working career. The last two types would have been canned after their first accident was traced to their ignoring safety rules.

Holy shit...if you read the OP, then you know I never asked for permission or safety warnings. I wanted tips or techniques. If you have nothing to add but more bubble wrap to your safety plans, then spare me. I’ve SAFELY handled liquid oxygen 8 years. I think I can handle 1 pound of propane.
Yep this aint lox! I refilled 8 bottles yesterday, this conversation inspired me...lol

I sell propane for a living (not the 1lb type). All I can ask is "why"? What is the real upside? Saving a buck or two?

Never mind the disposable cylinders are thin and not designed for refill...Never mind the valve is not designed to be used multiple times...Never mind there is no overfill protection which is exactly how you will hurt yourself or others...Do you really think they print "not for re-fill" because its super safe and the manufacture just wants to get more of your money?

The old saying is that "safety regulations are written in blood". You need a couple of bucks this bad, try to hit me up on Venmo and maybe I will send you a couple so I can save you from yourself.

Seriously, if you live in bumblef*ck and have no alternative, good luck. The rest of you, please be safe and smart.

Holy shit...if you read the OP, then you know I never asked for permission or safety warnings. I wanted tips or techniques. If you have nothing to add but more bubble wrap to your safety plans, then spare me. I’ve SAFELY handled liquid oxygen 8 years. I think I can handle 1 pound of propane.

Sorry, you're not the only person reading this for information.

If you are so well versed on handling pressurized liquids, you should not need advice on how to get them filled. I lapped you several times for time spent handling hazardous materials.

Everyone will do what they will do. My life is worth more than a pound of propane.

Boomer, you in a bad mood? This type of stuff happens here all the time. mtmuley
Just annoying as hell. People are responding without reading earlier posts. Let me make this clear:

There are no 1 pounders to be found. I’ve checked Cabelas, Scheels, Fleet Farm, Home Depot, Menards and Lowe’s. Most stores saying they’ve been out since October. Therefore asking for TIPS on how to refill. I accept any inherent danger.

So spare me the self-righteous rhetoric. Especially on a forum dedicated to a dangerous way of life. As far as I’m concerned, all the wet hens that have to blurt their opinions are cherry picking their safety standards! Which results in wasted time with both results or helpful suggestions.

So spare me the self-righteous rhetoric. Especially on a forum dedicated to a dangerous way of life. As far as I’m concerned, all the wet hens that have to blurt their opinions are cherry picking their safety standards! Which results in wasted time with both results or helpful suggestions.
Have a nice evening. mtmuley

Even the 100 pounders can be filled off your big tank if you have the right valve. This is considered 1 step short of suicide
I’d like to understand why you think filling larger tanks from even larger tanks is a bigger risk (“suicidal”) than filling small bottles from medium sized tanks? I have 3 500# tanks at my cabin and fill my 20# grill tanks from them. I generally only fill the 20# tanks 2/3rds full, and I have a special hose with valve and fittings to do it. It’s not any different than getting it refilled at Costco other than it’s much cheaper since I’m buying in bulk And get my big tanks filled when the prices are good.

I’d like to understand why you think filling larger tanks from even larger tanks is a bigger risk (“suicidal”) than filling small bottles from medium sized tanks? I have 3 500# tanks at my cabin and fill my 20# grill tanks from them. I generally only fill the 20# tanks 2/3rds full, and I have a special hose with valve and fittings to do it. It’s not any different than getting it refilled at Costco other than it’s much cheaper since I’m buying in bulk And get my big tanks filled when the prices are good.
LOL. I was kidding around man. Lighten up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back