Delete

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Super easy, all about using scale and do it outside when cold. I have a t-handle allen wrench to bleed off inert and usually takes 2 or 3 adds to get it to weight

I had a friend have a really close call with a refilled one pounder when we were hunting in Saskatchewan. It started leaking and caught on fire while in a box blind. Luckily he pitched the whole works out the door and it went out but kept leaking til gas was gone.

I don’t use refilled cylinders or refill them anymore.

You can't stop people from doing stupid stuff to save a dollar.

I worked for many years in an oil refinery, where part of my job was sampling and certifying propane.

The one pound bottles are not engineered for multiple uses. They are meant to be safe for one use.

The reason it is difficult to completely fill a bottle is that the vapor pressure in the small bottle quickly equals the pressure in the larger bottle. Consider when you get a 20# bottle filled,, they open a bleeder valve on the bottle as it filled. It will spray vapor until the bottle is filled, then it will spray liquid propane.

Do yourself a favor and get a 5#bottle and hose with a fitting that works on whatever it is you are using.

For the times where the 5# bottle isn't practical,,get a one pound bottle and use it and toss it. Your life is worth more than a few dollars.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a 5lb bottle for this reason. Got sick of all the left over bottles laying around and how much they cost for how much gas you get
I have the same small propane tank. They work great. They take up about the same space as 2 or 3 of those green bottles

Not when you’re trying to go lightweight.

You never qualified that at first. Where are you carrying propane operated equipment and still need to be lightweight?

I had a one pound bottle that was new. It had a badly shaped O-ring in the neck. I found this out the hard way in a deer blind. I lit the heater and it started like normal. About 10 seconds later I had a 2.5 foot ball of fire in my small Ameristep Tent Chair Blind. The only intended way out is through the front zipper. The only place that there is room for a heater is between you and the zipper. A quick reaction of standing up and pushing up real hard with my arms, and I threw the blind up in the air so I could escape the fire.

Now I look over the one pound tanks and inspect the O-rings prior to uses. No Miss Shapen O-rings!

I had a one pound bottle that was new. It had a badly shaped O-ring in the neck. I found this out the hard way in a deer blind. I lit the heater and it started like normal. About 10 seconds later I had a 2.5 foot ball of fire in my small Ameristep Tent Chair Blind. The only intended way out is through the front zipper. The only place that there is room for a heater is between you and the zipper. A quick reaction of standing up and pushing up real hard with my arms, and I threw the blind up in the air so I could escape the fire.

Now I look over the one pound tanks and inspect the O-rings prior to uses. No Miss Shapen O-rings!
I’m sure this was the culprit in my buddies situation, easy enough to damage an O ring.

Yes, check those o-rings! In November we were about to cook the camp dinner dinner on an old Coleman stove. Buddy #1, who tends to rush through things and not pay attention and shall remain nameless, went to set up the stove and either cross-threaded the bottle or damaged the o-ring and then lit the burner on low and walked away. Buddy #2, stepped over to start cooking and turned up the gas, creating a huge fireball that singed off a bunch of his beard and curled his eyebrows, he was a little shell-shocked so I jumped in and popped the quick disconnect on the hose and tossed the flaming bottle away from the truck before everything else caught fire...it was very exciting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back