Wild Alaskan Salmon Seafood

Refilling propane, 1 pounders!

stillkickin

I had a one pound bottle that was new. It had a badly shaped O-ring in the neck. I found this out the hard way in a deer blind. I lit the heater and it started like normal. About 10 seconds later I had a 2.5 foot ball of fire in my small Ameristep Tent Chair Blind. The only intended way out is through the front zipper. The only place that there is room for a heater is between you and the zipper. A quick reaction of standing up and pushing up real hard with my arms, and I threw the blind up in the air so I could escape the fire.

Now I look over the one pound tanks and inspect the O-rings prior to uses. No Miss Shapen O-rings!
I’m sure this was the culprit in my buddies situation, easy enough to damage an O ring.

LuketheDog

I had a one pound bottle that was new. It had a badly shaped O-ring in the neck. I found this out the hard way in a deer blind. I lit the heater and it started like normal. About 10 seconds later I had a 2.5 foot ball of fire in my small Ameristep Tent Chair Blind. The only intended way out is through the front zipper. The only place that there is room for a heater is between you and the zipper. A quick reaction of standing up and pushing up real hard with my arms, and I threw the blind up in the air so I could escape the fire.

Now I look over the one pound tanks and inspect the O-rings prior to uses. No Miss Shapen O-rings!
Yes, check those o-rings! In November we were about to cook the camp dinner dinner on an old Coleman stove. Buddy #1, who tends to rush through things and not pay attention and shall remain nameless, went to set up the stove and either cross-threaded the bottle or damaged the o-ring and then lit the burner on low and walked away. Buddy #2, stepped over to start cooking and turned up the gas, creating a huge fireball that singed off a bunch of his beard and curled his eyebrows, he was a little shell-shocked so I jumped in and popped the quick disconnect on the hose and tossed the flaming bottle away from the truck before everything else caught fire...it was very exciting

recon6036

I had a friend have a really close call with a refilled one pounder when we were hunting in Saskatchewan. It started leaking and caught on fire while in a box blind. Luckily he pitched the whole works out the door and it went out but kept leaking til gas was gone.

I don’t use refilled cylinders or refill them anymore.

I don’t use refilled cylinders or refill them anymore.
Same thing happened to a buddy and I a couple years ago when we were hunting deer in Wyoming.
We were in our GP small tent (base camp) at the time. He unzipped the door as fast as he could and I chucked the Buddy heater/tank outside as fast as possible.
Pucker factor for sure.....

BoomerUSAF

You never qualified that at first. Where are you carrying propane operated equipment and still need to be lightweight?
I manually drag my ice fishing gear 99% of the time (personal “earn” my beers thing I do). Most of the time I can get my sled’s weight to about 100 lbs. I scrutinize want vs. need and a larger propane is a want. My Coleman lantern is dual purpose, heat and light. I cut my tackle box from ~15 to 2 lbs this year.

Mthuntr

I manually drag my ice fishing gear 99% of the time (personal “earn” my beers thing I do). Most of the time I can get my sled’s weight to about 100 lbs. I scrutinize want vs. need and a larger propane is a want. My Coleman lantern is dual purpose, heat and light. I cut my tackle box from ~15 to 2 lbs this year.
Same here though I drag a Mr. Buddy heater and use a headlamp for light. Those little 5lb bottles work great but not really well for a lantern without a propane tree setup which would likely be top heavy.

I think I'd investigate the refillable propane system linked before. Seems like the safest and most efficient route. I considered one of those simple adapters to fill tanks but heard a lot of issues and then just opted for the adapters for a tank system.

EDIT: maybe something like this would work....Mr Buddy Compact Distribution Post

MNSportsman

get-n-birdy

Tried and tried it and was never happy with the results. A brother-in-law use to manage an LP distribution station and had delivered and dealt with it for years. He is wicked smart about everything, he highly advised against it and was not happy I was trying it. I tried and tried, then had a couple close calls and decided it just wasn't worth it. You can never get them as full as the store bought ones, major pain in the arse! And if you do you're probably going to have venting problems. You blow something up with one, your insurance isn't helping with anything as far as property, let alone the possibility of great bodily harm, your death or killing someone you care about. All for diy stuff to a fault and saving pennies, but there's just to much risk vs reward with flammable vapors imo. Especially when something is designed for one and done, and is across the board and consistently problematic to the point there's so many close calls.