Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Recoil pad question

Redman

Helping a friend restore a shotgun for a friend of his. I noticed the recoil pad that was once red rubber is now a solid red chunck of what used to resemble soft rubber. Anyway I told him we need to do something about that. I know that you could purchase "grind to fit" recoil pads. I had one on hand but couldn't find if it was one of those. Here is a picture of it. I have had it for years might give it a shot anyway but thought I would check here incase one of you has seen one of these before.
20221215_202801.jpg

That is a Japanese imitation of the old Pachmayer "White Line" recoil pad. You can still buy the real thing and I would advise it. That Jap junk will just rot away once it's exposed to daylight. My dad's 1930s Model 11 has an original Pachmayer pad that's also done for. If I could get that gun away from my brother I would replace the recoil pad. A gunsmith friend who was retiring gave me the jig tool for grinding the pads to fit but I still haven't used it.

That is a Japanese imitation of the old Pachmayer "White Line" recoil pad. You can still buy the real thing and I would advise it. That Jap junk will just rot away once it's exposed to daylight. My dad's 1930s Model 11 has an original Pachmayer pad that's also done for. If I could get that gun away from my brother I would replace the recoil pad. A gunsmith friend who was retiring gave me the jig tool for grinding the pads to fit but I still haven't used it.
So is this Jap pad grindable?

So is this Jap pad grindable?
You can try. Might crumble when you grind it. That World Famous outfit just sold cheap junk mostly. A cut rate importer. If you're "restoring" a shotgun, why not go with original equipment? The Pachmayer pads aren't real expensive.

You can try. Might crumble when you grind it. That World Famous outfit just sold cheap junk mostly. A cut rate importer. If you're "restoring" a shotgun, why not go with original equipment? The Pachmayer pads aren't real expensive.
It is a old H&R single shot 12ga. So I already have more time in it than the gun is worth.

It is a old H&R single shot 12ga. So I already have more time in it than the gun is worth.
Give it a go. Who knows what pad H&R put on that gun originally. Pachmayer "White Line" was top of the line in those days and, as you know, H&R was pretty much bottom of the line. Actually, as I recall weren't those single shots originally hard butt plate? Maybe that recoil pad was an add-on anyway. If your Jap pad is big enough, may as well see if it works. Good luck!

Give it a go. Who knows what pad H&R put on that gun originally. Pachmayer "White Line" was top of the line in those days and, as you know, H&R was pretty much bottom of the line. Actually, as I recall weren't those single shots originally hard butt plate? Maybe that recoil pad was an add-on anyway. If your Jap pad is big enough, may as well see if it works. Good luck!
Original recoil pad reddish orange rubber now hard as a rock with H&R molded into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back