Re-Checkering

Cornbread

My dad's old Browning Auto-5's checkering has been flat-out worn down and sanded down. Is it possible for a checkering expert to re-checker the stock with the same checkering? I know I could get a new stock for it, but that is out of the question. If you do what I'm suggesting, even if an expert in checkering did it, would it still look half-assed?

Touching up checkering is done all the time. Any competent smith can handle this, or if you're crafty, you could get a single line spacer and do it your self.
Yes, it is often done. If you do it yourself, you'll need a single line file and a single line spacer THAT IS THE SAME LINES PER INCH that the original checkering was cut.

Last edited:
I've checkered a half dozen or more of my own rifles. Five of them have the same multi-panel, wrap-a-round pattern that I figure each takes me about 60 hours to do.

Another tip, to help keep from over cutting the ends of the lines is to tape the stock around the pattern.
This pic is close to the end of checkering one side of the grip on my .22-250. I put double layers of masking tape around the pattern to prevent over cutting.
HdD7ytsl.jpg

This is the finished right side of the grip on my .300 Weatherby...
ExSCxdkl.jpg

And the right side and bottom of the forearm on my .300 Weatherby...
0fZQIkhl.jpg

And here is the right side of the grip on the laminated stock of my .375 RUM...
n9jjkK4l.jpg

And I just remembered that 30+ years ago I re-checkered the stock of a friend's Model 70 Winchester, but I didn't take any pictures of it.

@VikingsGuy , I'm LMFAO!

In my opinion, Ben et al. are spot on about recutting the checkering. It can be even better than the original.

I will add that this would be a great time to do other stock work, including raising dents, repairing cracks, removing oil, bedding the action, and, perhaps, adjusting dimensions with a leather-covered buttpad, bending, etc.

All of that you can do yourself. Some is easier that others, but whether you do it or you hire out, make it what you want for this next stage of its history.

Last edited:
I've re-cut several rifles and a shotgun. Single cutter and follow the old lines. Came out a lot better than I'd expected it would. Look at it this way, if the checkering is ruined, half the job is done for you. Hard to ruin something already ruined!

Great. All of this is good to know. I'd never do it myself. I just don't have the patience. This auto five was my dad's and 20 years ago I had it re-blued which made it look really good. I think I'll try to get the engraving on it re-done and also the checkering. This is auto-5 from the WW2 era, 1942-46 based on the serial number. It's more momento than its historical value.

Be sure to rust blue it. Not hot dip.

Where do you live, approximately?

I should add there are many levels of restoration that could be applied. Making into a like-new gun may be one of them, but maybe not what you want. Be sure you and your gun guy are on the same page.

Remember, you get what you pay for - hopefully.

I don't know what kind of bluing but it was done by a professional gunsmith in Pittsburgh. Chuck went to the Penna Gunsmith School in Pittsburgh. He's good, and it was a good job 15 years ago.

Back