Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Re-barreling a 700SA to 7-08??

wisconsinteacher

After thinking more about the 6mm Rem that I got from a buddy, the more I'm leaning towards rebarreling it to 7-08. I don't have a smaller 7mm round in the safe and think it would be a good one to have. I have most of the tools needed to do the job it if buy a prefit barrel from Northland Shooting Supply. They have 24" 1:9 twist sporter barrels in stock. I would probably have it cut down to 20-21". From there, put a new trigger in it and a new stock and I would have a light little rig for myself or my wife if she wanted to rifle hunt with me.

Thoughts or ideas as to why not build it? The 6mmRem will has no purpose in my safe if I were to invest the time and money to get it shooting, so I figured, make a nice light hunting rifle out of the action.

Sounds like a great idea and easy swap especially if you have the barrel vise, action wrench and barrel nut wrench.
What stock are you considering?

I was thinking about a B&C stock. Any recommendations?
B&C is a good basic choice and usually have quick availability. H&S precision is a step up in my experience - also generally available but a little heavier. As you go up in price you also have availability problems in my experience (Manners, MacMillans etc) but they are nice stocks.

sectional density for a 107 gr 6mm is around 258 and the 150 gr in 7mm is 266, not a lot in it
ive killed a heap of animals with a 6.5 in 125 gr which has a sd of 248, includes tahr and large red stags n also a crossbred wapiti
take the rifle hunting

I’d go to a 1:7.5 twist, at most a 1:8.

I got the email today my MDT XRS chassis shipped and when it gets here, the blind magazine is coming off. It’s got an adjustable Length of pull from 13 1/2 to 14 1/2” and a cheek riser. Important if more than one shooter will be using the rifle.

I had a Boyd’s laminated stock on it. The barrel channel is the wrong profile. I wanted detachable magazine and the length of pull is 13 1/2” and I need 14 1/4”.

I put a 24” 1:9 .223 match criterion barrel on and took the .243 1:9.25 barrel off because I’m having too much trouble getting accurate 100 gr loads to work. It’ll eventually get cut to 20”. Kinda wished I’d have gotten the 1:8 twist for the 75-80 gr OTM bullets. NSS had this in stock. I forget if he had the 1:8 in stock.

Not sure if I’ll go to a .243 1:7.5 or .260 rem 1.7.5 twist. I already have .243 brass and bullets.

I got all my stuff from NSS too. Including a .280 Remington I’m putting together. 1:8.5 and 18” criterion. It’s got a 20-22 week lead time. So it will be March/April before I see it.

62282CB4-BC77-44AA-811D-B5185E95028A.jpeg

I wouldn’t hesitate to rebarrel. I’m against going tighter than needed on the twist. For a 7-08, you likely won’t be shooting really heavy bullets. 1-9, 1-8.5, 1-8, that’s where I would stay UNLESS you were looking at a specific monolithic bullet that required a twist tighter than that. Even then, I would plug the length and weight into a twist calculator using the lowest elevation you plan to hunt at. Most manufacturer recommended twist rates are for sea level and low temps just to cover their butts.

I’d go to a 1:7.5 twist, at most a 1:8.

I got the email today my MDT XRS chassis shipped and when it gets here, the blind magazine is coming off. It’s got an adjustable Length of pull from 13 1/2 to 14 1/2” and a cheek riser. Important if more than one shooter will be using the rifle.

I had a Boyd’s laminated stock on it. The barrel channel is the wrong profile. I wanted detachable magazine and the length of pull is 13 1/2” and I need 14 1/4”.

I put a 24” 1:9 .223 match criterion barrel on and took the .243 1:9.25 barrel off because I’m having too much trouble getting accurate 100 gr loads to work. It’ll eventually get cut to 20”. Kinda wished I’d have gotten the 1:8 twist for the 75-80 gr OTM bullets. NSS had this in stock. I forget if he had the 1:8 in stock.

Not sure if I’ll go to a .243 1:7.5 or .260 rem 1.7.5 twist. I already have .243 brass and bullets.

I got all my stuff from NSS too. Including a .280 Remington I’m putting together. 1:8.5 and 18” criterion. It’s got a 20-22 week lead time. So it will be March/April before I see it.

View attachment 206030

A 243 slinging 105-110gr bullets is a heck of a cartridge. Mine is an 8 twist and shoots bugholes. You won’t regret it.

I was thinking about a B&C stock. Any recommendations?
Depends on what your weight goal is. B&C aren’t the lightest but are a great value stock also. Sometimes the inlet and fit aren’t the best but easily fixed. AG composites, McMillan, Manners all make some nice stocks also and can be found used also.

A 243 slinging 105-110gr bullets is a heck of a cartridge. Mine is an 8 twist and shoots bugholes. You won’t regret it.
The problem is getting those correct twist barrels…

In an old chambering like 7-08, .260 rem, .243, it’s not a quick thing to pickup. Most barrels are 20-23 or longer lead times for getting cut.

A 1:10 .243 is stock. A 1:7.5 6 creed is stock.

A 1:7.5 .243 is 22 weeks to get.

The problem is getting those correct twist barrels…

In an old chambering like 7-08, .260 rem, .243, it’s not a quick thing to pickup. Most barrels are 20-23 or longer lead times for getting cut.

A 1:10 .243 is stock. A 1:7.5 6 creed is stock.

A 1:7.5 .243 is 22 weeks to get.
Nothing wrong with a 6 creed either!😁

This came out yesterday on YouTube

Part of my issue is everything I planned was dated 2005 era. I walked away from shooting and hunting as a result of Minnesota family court and law enforcement and an ex wife that weaponized them for civil matters when we divorced.

So I’m playing catch-up now for everything that’s changed since 2006.

I learned really quick, old saami specs on the darling calibers of yesteryears did not do those old calibers any favors with twist rate specs.

These new chamberings out perform when you don’t adjust the twist rates in barrels when you go to shoot similar cartridge setups and bullet sizes.

Some of these new calibers, I just flat out don’t know anything about them. Like 6GT

And then when I see comparisons done on the “flavor of the month” and it’s questionable any gains one gets…

Sorry if I’m not screaming to jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited:
Back