Racked a round a few times but didnt shoot it. Toss or okay to keep?

Coloradokid27

Hi, newer hunter, can't find any threads or information on the topic. I saw a discussion elsewhere about a round being dangerous to fire because it had become marked up and compressed into its case from chambering it and unloading a few times. I have done the same with the current 6.5 creedmoor round on top of my rifle magazine.

Deer was over the line(private/public), deer was too small, deer didn't present a good shot. Now I have a round that has been chambered and unloaded a few times. Is that round now compressed into case or scratched up too much to use it?

How many times clambering a specific round before it is a good idea to toss it?

You should be able to chamber a round 1000 times or more and be perfectly fine. This is because the brass should be a couple thousands smaller then the chamber for proper feeding. Once fired the brass expands to the chamber creating the seal necessary to expel the bullet down the barrel. This is why you resize the brass when reloading to shrink the brass back to proper dimensions.

Lol, im very experienced with handloading and firearms, but also very paranoid when it comes to needing everything perfect when the time comes to make a kill shot. I would totally put the round in the back of the ammo case and use it for the range only. Its totally irrational for me to do it, that round is perfectly fine,, but in my mind, why chance it when I have 20 other freshly pressed, never chambered rounds in the case?

In a bolt action rifle, there should be no problem at all. I guess it would be possible for the bullet to shift in the case if you were using a semi auto of some kind with a heavy bolt/spring slamming shut repeatedly on the round.

I've had the rounds of some semi auto handgun rounds shorten in overall length from repeated chamberings. The breech of some guns are just too steep or rough and will push the projectile back into the case after repeated chamberings. This doesn't effect its ability to fire, but it could impact its ability to feed in a handgun (so not really applicable here).

Measure the overall length of that round versus the others. If the overall length has been shortened from repeated chamberings from the magazine then just use that round the next time you're at the range. I bet it still shoots into the same group. And if it does shoot into the same group, then you'll know for the future that its not an issue.

Either way, hunt with what gives you confidence. You don't need to be worrying about your ammunition while taking aim at an animal.

Last edited:
@Coloradokid27

You've asked an honest question. Many of us have been doing this for so long that we don't even think about it much any more.

To give you a more specific answer:
If the cartridge is obviously damaged, or any time you feel a cartridge is unsafe, toss it. Most old timers would not be bothered by a scratched or even dinted case.
You DO need to be careful about getting dirt or grit into your rifle chamber. Make sure you wipe it off good!
If you compare it to the the other shells from the same box of ammo and it is noticeably shorter, toss it.

Where ever you read or seen that said, STOP reading it or watching it. SHOOT IT it is fine.

Thanks for the answers, good to know its fine. The round I saw the discussion about was a 9mm that had been dented up and compressed enough to notice side by side with a new round. Mine seem identical except a few minor "scratches". Thanks again.

There is a big difference between handgun and rifle round in regards to the bullet being pushed back into the case. In handgun ammo, like the 9mm, if the bullet is pushed back into the case pressure can/will be increased and could damage the gun and shooter. This is not a problem in rifle ammo as the longer jump to the rifling lowers pressure as long as the bullet is still seated in the case neck.

I have seen a few of these threads about imperfect ammo and all I can think about is my brother and I scrounging a few stray and grungy twenty two shells from under the seat or out of the glove box of the dusty old ranch pickup. When you are a teenaged kid and you 22 stock is near zero you go to desperate measures.

Shoot it. Some very experienced hunters/guides who depend on their weapon to defend themselves while hunting dangerous game make sure every round chambers.

Hi, newer hunter, can't find any threads or information on the topic. I saw a discussion elsewhere about a round being dangerous to fire because it had become marked up and compressed into its case from chambering it and unloading a few times. I have done the same with the current 6.5 creedmoor round on top of my rifle magazine.

Deer was over the line(private/public), deer was too small, deer didn't present a good shot. Now I have a round that has been chambered and unloaded a few times. Is that round now compressed into case or scratched up too much to use it?

How many times clambering a specific round before it is a good idea to toss it?
Not only would I shoot it under any circumstance, but now I would name it since you made it special...

Back