Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pulling Water Out of Seeps

KayakMacGyver

Going to be backpack hunting a pretty dry area over the next couple weeks and was discussing water sources with my hunting partner. He usually rolls with tablets to purify, while I've used a steripen or gravity filter. The more research we've done, it sounds like we may not have access to running water to pull our water from.

What are you guys using to pull water out of seeps to then filter? I suppose I could carry a small bowl or something to try and scoop water from the ground, but honestly don't know what the best way to do this is. Never really had this kind of dilemma.

I see lots of small transfer pumps on-line, but haven't come across one that's made of for human consumption type material or that's "miniaturized" enough. Is there a backpacking version of a water transfer pump that I should be searching for?

TIA

Msr guardian is awesome, well worth having in my pack. Everywhere i go. I spent 10 days camped out on a mountain where the closest water to me was a very weak spring, the deepest water was where it filled up moose tracks in the mud. Got all my water from those moose tracks.

MSR makes a smaller, much less expensive pump called the TrailShot. I'm only guessing, but I imagine the construction isn't quite as sound as the Guardian. Might not last more than a couple seasons.

With my gravity setup I cut the top portion off of a 1 liter Aquafina bottle. I then roll up my dirty bag, sawyer mini, and necessary hosing and nest it in the water bottle. This both protects my dirty bag in my pack from punctures and the open top bottle is pliable enough to scoop water out of very shallow seeps to pour into the dirty bag. Essentially adds zero weight and helps w organization.

I’ve been using my cup to fill my bladder and then toss in tabs.

If it was particularly dirty you could use a game back, shirt bottom etc to strain out the larger particles.

I have both an gravity filter and MSR pump. The gravity filter is my go to for summer camping, but for hunting it’s just too heavy + is pretty fragile with regard to temps. You can definitely make them work, and I’ve taken mine hunting into nov, but more and more I’m using chlorine dioxide tablets. (Iodine isn’t effective against a lot of stuff)

With my gravity setup I cut the top portion off of a 1 liter Aquafina bottle. I then roll up my dirty bag, sawyer mini, and necessary hosing and nest it in the water bottle. This both protects my dirty bag in my pack from punctures and the open top bottle is pliable enough to scoop water out of very shallow seeps to pour into the dirty bag. Essentially adds zero weight and helps w organization.

After looking at the options, I think this is going to be the route I take. I don't do enough backpacking to warrant yet another water purification system...particularly one like the MSR. I like the idea of a small scoop like the top of a bottle and am going to take this route. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I currently use an MSR water works, which I probably need to do some maintenance on since it's 15 years old or so, but I also have a new 10L gravity works That's been sitting around for 5 years or so, and a friend got me a Sawyer mini squeeze this summer that I've yet to try.

This season, I'll take the Sawyer with me on day hunts just in case I need some water. But I'll try and pack everything I need for the day, just to save time.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back