Puffy? Synthetic, warm, not crazy expensive?

Zootownelk

I have the REI Magma 850 that I got for $130. I'm not sure if they still make it, but it's been good for me.

diazjm2378

Working up a spreadsheet on these down/insulated pants. I'm open to advice on other brands or specs I should look for. All these are full side zip and somewhat waterproof or windproof with the exception of the Kuiu kenai View attachment 209584
The Eddie Bauer 650 down fill jacket at Costco seems like a decent jacket for only 40 dollars. They had it on sale got it for $31 and it weights only 10oz for the small size. It seems plenty warm just recently got the ghost whisperer 2 which is 7.5 oz at $325 will be comparing both side to side in the next few weeks. So far I must say they are both comparably warm.

diazjm2378

this may start a fist fight but... My gerry puffy from costco is great. cost I think 20bucks and so far its more durable then the "nicer" one I use to have that got tore up from my neighbors dog jumping up on me wanting attention. Doesn't pack down quite as good but plenty good enough and way warmer.
The Eddie Bauer 650 down fill jacket at Costco seems like a decent jacket for only 40 dollars got it on sale for $31.

BoulderBulls

The Eddie Bauer 650 down fill jacket at Costco seems like a decent jacket for only 40 dollars. They had it on sale got it for $31 and it weights only 10oz for the small size. It seems plenty warm just recently got the ghost whisperer 2 which is 7.5 oz at $325 will be comparing both side to side in the next few weeks. So far I must say they are both comparably warm.
This will be a real interesting comparison! Looking forward to it

hank4elk

I got a EB made for Cabella's 900 Outfitters series parka back when they wanted the high end folks,y2k?. On sale $160. Has a suede type finish in brown. Full baffles. Damn thing is very warm. -20 rated, been way colder and still warm. Very quiet.
Fits under my Gander Mtn waterfowl parka in real bad wet conditions. Then it's camo,lol.

The pants spreadsheet has my interest.
Those BD belay pants look great for around here.
Full zip a must. No black or garish colors.

wllm

REI,50% off sale in outlet. Lots of puffies.....$100-200
The hilarious contridiciton of HT...

6.5PRC v. .264 win mag v. 26 nosler v 6.5 weatherby RPM; 20 pages of posts with people arguing that one caliber is vastly superior to another.

Meanwhile, a $30 650 down costco jacket is the same thing as a 180 gram primaloft gold synthetic jacket.

:rolleyes:

GrantK

I have the Bd Stance belay pants and the Rab Photons, both are good, slight edge to the Rab, I'd add Mountain equipment compressor pants to the spreadsheet (way smaller than the Mountain Hardwear compressor) and also consider the compressor 3/4 length if you are actually walking around in them, most of my climbing partners are rolling with the 3/4 length on multi-day trips because of the weight.
I'd also consider a down skirt if you are just sitting and glassing, warmer and lighter than pants but a little constricting if you are walking around.

wllm

I have the Bd Stance belay pants and the Rab Photons, both are good, slight edge to the Rab, I'd add Mountain equipment compressor pants to the spreadsheet (way smaller than the Mountain Hardwear compressor) and also consider the compressor 3/4 length if you are actually walking around in them, most of my climbing partners are rolling with the 3/4 length on multi-day trips because of the weight.
I'd also consider a down skirt if you are just sitting and glassing, warmer and lighter than pants but a little constricting if you are walking around.
I believe it's called an insulated technical kilt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluetix