Public land nemesis

Unreal buck, good luck with his sheds and him. I used to hike some islands in that part of the world for sheds and always wondered how many got swept away by spring run off. I picked one up that was maybe 6 inches from the waters edge and I'm guessing would have been lost to high water.

Unreal buck, good luck with his sheds and him. I used to hike some islands in that part of the world for sheds and always wondered how many got swept away by spring run off. I picked one up that was maybe 6 inches from the waters edge and I'm guessing would have been lost to high water.
I think lots and lots get swept up by the mighty snake.

I would damn sure rather blow him out of there trying to kill him than find out someone hit him with a car, getting poached, or him dying of natural causes and never to be seen again....

No doubt, I would too. I usually start off slow then move towards more aggressive. I was just saying sometimes it pays off big time and sometimes it blows up in your face.

That is a dandy buck! I will be really happy for you when that restraint pays off with a pic of him on the ground next year. I hunt more mountains than river bottoms but I would consider looking at pockets of cover during the rut that are in his home area but not right in the normal heavy use areas. It has been my experience that the biggest old bucks are the first to lock down with does and will push a hot doe to pockets of cover where other deer do not typically frequent so he doesn’t have to fight as hard to keep her. At that age and size he will not spend as much time searching as other bucks because he should have first pic. I have seen a lot less deer since I started hunting these non traditional pockets but the ones I see are the oldest in the area.

The water rose so much 2 days later in the same spot as the deer i got this wood duck on camera swimming by.

Attachments

• 20190429_214443.jpg
    20190429_214443.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
No luck on his sheds. I covered a lot of miles and now with rivers so high there is a good chance they will be swept away with high waters. Out of all them bucks in the area I never found one deer shed. Only 3 moose sheds. Bummed I havent found them, but that's the way she goes.

Wow that's a stud of a buck. I don't have any words of wisdom but am hoping that someday you get to post him up on lti-good luck I am not a firm believer on patterning anything in this part of the country I have seen a buck in one particular area multiple times and then never saw him again especially in broke up farm land like you are describing in SE Idaho is much like where I live in fact the county I live in has lots of spuds just like you and deer have nothing to do with them-the chemical alone run in those circles is extremely hazardous.

Put on waders and ease slowly along in the water. Grunt occasionally. Kill him as you slip along.
Thought about trying this in the canoe. To deep to actually wade along. With the exception of a few flood channels that I could wade thru and grunt I didnt think of that until you posted. Thanks that may just be the ticket.

Back