Caribou Gear Tarp

Primitive trad archery self filmed bear hunt

Stay Sharp

While I was attending a bowhunting banquet a few years ago, I won an outfitted, fall black bear hunt far northern WI (WI does not allow spring bear hunts). I attempted to gift the hunt to my elderly father but could not talk him into making the trip. His reply was "Its too far from the Dr.'s office." In certain parts of WI it takes 8 years to draw a bear tag and I dont know that he has the years left in him to draw his own bear tag.

I'd never used an outfitter for bear hunting having done it all myself for all the other bears I killed with a bow but that was when I lived in the far northern part of WI. I felt sort of robbed of a portion of the experience by using an outfitter for something like a bear as in my prior bear hunts I enjoyed all the pre-hunt work involved.

Since Ive taken several bear with a bow (I've never had a desire to hunt bear with a gun) I wanted to make this hunt a bit more challenging so I opted to do a primitive traditional archery hunt with all homemade archery gear and I wanted to self film the taking of the bear as I find self filming adds a level of challenge to bowhunting.

This is the link to the step by step building of the bow and accessories I designed and built.

This is the link to the homemade broadheads I make for hunting and what I used for this bear hunt.

In the end I was fortunate enough to take a boar with all primitive trad gear and to get it on film. I ended up taking 2 bear (1 I set out to kill and one I did not want to kill)

XBaLtpj.jpg

tRCdl4m.jpg

The euro mounts I did of the two bear I killed.

PLVFVzV.jpg

Since I was successful in taking a bear and capturing it on film, here is part one of the bear hunt video (the bear I intended to kill)

Part 2 of this traveling hunt (the bear I did not intend to kill)

What’s that little white thing between the skulls in your pic and what do you plan to do with it?

Back