Caribou Gear Tarp

Pressure cooking?

mtmuley

My Father and Grandfather both pressure cooked game meat and fish. I remember it was tasty stuff. I've always wanted to continue and have some recipes handed down, but not a cooker. Any recomendations for a cooker, and any recipes you like? Thanks guys. mtmuley

I have a Presto 23 qt with a dial gauge. I've only done tuna but it works great. Just follow the directions and maintain a steady heat. I'm smoking and canning some trout soon.

i can almost everything elk/deer except backstraps and loins. i have three pressure cookers all were bought at yard sales. most of my jars too. i can can an entire deer while i am butchering it. it is simple,quick, no freezer burnt meat, start small see if its what u wanna do i will help u anytime.

Presto 23 qt. for me as well. I use it for deer and usually make 20-40 pint jars a year. We use it for tacos, stroganoff, soups, etc...

I have a 16 qt dial gage Presto. I’ve processed venison, veggies from the garden, and a lot of lake trout. We just use the recipes that came with the cooker. Cheeser has a great point about getting jars from yard sales.

My family is also looking to start canning/jarring game meat and would love to hear how the rest of you have been doing it. Not having the familial experience makes it a bit of a hurdle since we don't know how to identify unsafe jars, and I would appreciate any and all feed back!
In 1996, I had jarred muskox from kotzeboe and have wanted to figure it out ever since

My family is also looking to start canning/jarring game meat and would love to hear how the rest of you have been doing it. Not having the familial experience makes it a bit of a hurdle since we don't know how to identify unsafe jars, and I would appreciate any and all feed back!
We learned on our own also. The presto’s come with a small manual. We bought another book “Ball complete book to home preserving”. Both cover safety pretty well. Game meat is really easy to do and there is a recipe in the presto manual and the ball book. The Ball book is not needed if you just want to do game meat.

Not all brands of canners are compatible with glass top ranges - Prestos are though, but they don’t recommend them for LP ranges over 12,000 BTU’s.

We have a Presto for canning, but I don't think that was the intent of the OP.

Like Cushman mentioned, it is tough to beat low and slow in a Dutch oven. We got an Instant Pot as a gift about 18 months ago. It has proven useful, although I think it is more fun in the old dutch oven.

I did have to make some shredded meat for taco's on a short time schedule last fall. I put about 4 lbs of frozen moose (shank and neck meat) into the IP. 50 or so minutes later I had cooked meat I could shred. I moved it to the dutch oven and mixed in some homemade salsa, then cooked it down for an hour or so, then had to hit the get together at a friends. There wasn't any left to bring home.

I think the IP is worth looking at - and there are tons of recipes out there for it.

We lived six years off the grid. Heated with wood and hauled water. Mrs Bearfoot canned moose, caribou, salmon, and garden veggies. I'd drag stuff home and she put it away. She does moose tongue in a pc, but I've never paid much attention to the process. Tastes good! Canned smoked salmon is wonderful as are zucchini pickles.

I keep it simple, brown with salt, pepper and minced garlic. Then pressure can per the guidelines for red meat.

Instant Pot gets my vote sir. Cooks in much less time than a traditional pressure cooker. All that stew meat makes some amazingly "tender" Elk stroganoff! MMMMMMM! MMMMMM!

Also cooks one hell of a tender roast!

Thanks for the info guys. And my intent is to can meat using a pressure cooker. Gonna try to find one this summer and use it next Fall/Winter. My Grandfather and Father also did fish this way. They used to smoke Rainbows from Browns Lake near Ovando and can some of them. Tasty. mtmuley

Thanks for the info guys. And my intent is to can meat using a pressure cooker. Gonna try to find one this summer and use it next Fall/Winter. My Grandfather and Father also did fish this way. They used to smoke Rainbows from Browns Lake near Ovando and can some of them. Tasty. mtmuley
mtmuley,

If you are going to can meat, you need a pressure CANNER not cooker. Most of us knew what you meant as we called them pressure cookers 30 years ago, but now there are Instapots which are not for canning. You probably know this, but I thought I would point this out for those that are considering getting a pressure canner or cooker. They are not the same thing anymore.

yea I got an Instant Pot recently. Can cook a roast in under an hour, which is awesome on a weeknight. Brown a roast right in the pot, then add some mushrooms, Italian diced tomatoes, pepperoni peppers, Italian seasoning and pressure cook for 45 minutes. Serve on Italian roll with provolone cheese...good stuff

mtmuley,

If you are going to can meat, you need a pressure CANNER not cooker. Most of us knew what you meant as we called them pressure cookers 30 years ago, but now there are Instapots which are not for canning. You probably know this, but I thought I would point this out for those that are considering getting a pressure canner or cooker. They are not the same thing anymore.
Thanks Pelican. My grandmother always called it a pressure "cooker". I'm old. mtmuley

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back