Preferred Copper Remover

I agree with Rancho on not cleaning very often but when I do clean I want it done thoroughly. Cleaning is double edged sword.

I have a book on home gunsmithing by Bryce Towsley. He's the author of books about the Benoit family of Vermont that are the best selling hunting related books ever written.

Anyhow, he has a chapter on cleaning guns. A tool he mentions is the Outers Foul Out. The Foul Out uses electrical power from a battery to plate the copper from the barrel onto the rod that's inserted into the barrel with the barrel filled with a solution. There are 2 solutions, one for lead, another for copper.

When the light indicates its completed, you can visually see the amount of copper on the rod. Really old and/or dirty barrels may require two or more cleanings this way.

He goes on to say that when someone brings him a gun in which the barrel is "shot out", his first step is aggressive cleaning. He says that he no longer asks people if they have cleaned the barrel as the usual response is "sure, I cleaned the barrel and know how to. Been doing it for 40 years." Or something to that effect. He cleans the barrel, restores the accuracy and lets them think he did other magic like recrowned the barrel or something!

I don't know if the units are still made; if not, check the big online auction site!

I have a book on home gunsmithing by Bryce Towsley. He's the author of books about the Benoit family of Vermont that are the best selling hunting related books ever written.

Anyhow, he has a chapter on cleaning guns. A tool he mentions is the Outers Foul Out. The Foul Out uses electrical power from a battery to plate the copper from the barrel onto the rod that's inserted into the barrel with the barrel filled with a solution. There are 2 solutions, one for lead, another for copper.

When the light indicates its completed, you can visually see the amount of copper on the rod. Really old and/or dirty barrels may require two or more cleanings this way.

He goes on to say that when someone brings him a gun in which the barrel is "shot out", his first step is aggressive cleaning. He says that he no longer asks people if they have cleaned the barrel as the usual response is "sure, I cleaned the barrel and know how to. Been doing it for 40 years." Or something to that effect. He cleans the barrel, restores the accuracy and lets them think he did other magic like recrowned the barrel or something!

I don't know if the units are still made; if not, check the big online auction site!

I'd forgot about these gadgets. The shop i used to work at used one from time to time. Seemed to work pretty good.

I use CR-10 or Sweets 7.62
These are very agressive, do not leave them in your bore.
Swab, leave 2 or 3 munuets, dry patch clean.
Then standard bore cleaner.

I have always used the combo of sweets 7.62 followed up by shooters choice and it works great. May be overkill but it does a flawless job in just a few minutes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back