Preference Point Question

rjthehunter

So I'm fairly new to the hunting out west. The hunting opportunities are finally within reach for me. Just finishing up college now and able to afford some of these hunts.

My questions are as follows...

When I apply for tags in March, if I'm not drawn, do I still receive a preference point for next year? I'd like to start building points since that seems to be the only way to get drawn in some of these states. I noticed I already missed the ability to purchase a preference point in WY. Do I still receive one if I apply and don't get drawn for elk?

Also, applying for elk/antelope/mule deer if I apply for all 3 in WY would I receive 3 preference points total or 1 preference point for each species?

Bear with me, like I said I'm new to this whole point deal and would like to learn more about it. I also understand every state is different but I'd like to use WY for an example since I'd really like to get out there to chase elk sometime in the next few years.

Thanks

You no longer receive a point in Wyoming for an unsuccessful application, unfortunately. You need to buy them during the period when they are on sale. You will need to buy a point for each species, which will end up being about $125.00.

Not what I was hoping to hear. What states still allow you to receive a point for applying? Feels like it's gonna be tough to get drawn with 0 preference points. Might just wait till next year to buy points then apply.

buy elk points, buy deer points, apply for antelope - in wyoming. don't buy too many though.

in colorado go hunt elk and deer in the meantime.

Not what I was hoping to hear. What states still allow you to receive a point for applying? Feels like it's gonna be tough to get drawn with 0 preference points. Might just wait till next year to buy points then apply.

Even before when you could get a point for an unsuccessful application, you still had to pay for the point. I don't think anyone gives you the point for free on an unsuccessful application. Also remember that in Wyoming 25% of the tags go through a random draw where points aren't even considered, so you technically have a chance at any unit (although it's pretty slim). You can also look into OTC states to hunt while you build up a couple points. Also don't be afraid to put in for a cow/calf tag while building points.

Last edited:
25% of tags are given out in the random draw.

I'm not really sure why it's disappointing that you have to buy them, it won't affect your odds. It's just an extra step after all of the draws take place. Either way you are going into the 2020 draws with 0 points and into the 2021 draws with 1 point, assuming you buy a point next year.

You can easily hunt Wyoming next year with 0 points. It'll just take some research.

Even before when you could get a point for an unsuccessful application, you still had to pay for the point. I don't think anyone gives you the point for free on an unsuccessful application. Also remember that in Wyoming 40% of the tags go through a random draw where points aren't even considered, so you technically have a chance at any unit (although it's pretty slim). You can also look into OTC states to hunt while you build up a couple points. Also don't be afraid to put in for a cow/calf tag while building points.
I was a little bummed out since I missed purchasing the preference point this year!

Back