PRC Cartridges?

archerynut21

I’ve been itching for a PRC cartridge for a few years now. Just wondering everyone’s take on them? Starting to see ammo for them again. I’ve used my buddies 300 PRC on targets out to 1042 yards and it is fun. He’s big into elk and it hammers them. But I’m also interested in the 6.5 PRC. I know it will get the job done on an elk, and I am primarily a mule deer Hunter anyways. It seems like a good round for me. Or should I wait for the 7mm PRC to come out? I’ve always liked 7mm’s and it seems to be the best of both worlds if the velocity/bullet weight specs line up with what the SAAMI specs say. So many choices!

GlockZ

Personally, I'd wait for the 7PRC. I'm out on the East coast and the 6.5 & 300 PRC rifles are plentiful, but the ammunition for either is very elusive, just like the the Weatherby ammo. From what I've been able to find on the web and read, I think the 7PRC is going to be a great round, whether for hunting or long range competition.

klampson

Brass availabiliy might be a limiting factor. If ADG or Perterson starts making brass, and I assume they probably will, and if I can get a couple hundred pieces, I’ll probably build a 7PRC. These days I like to secure brass and bullets before putting together or buying a rifle in a specific cartridge.

Last edited:

LongCut

7mm PRC? I would say I wish I would have waited, but now I have a 6.5 PRC. I intend on a 300 PRC, and should have stockpiled so ammo when I had the chance a few months ago. I bought a few hundred rounds of 6.5 PRC before I even got the gun, just to make sure I could shoot it. I just found more in stock this morning an may be ordering some more...

OP - I LOVE my 6.5 PRC. I got it in a Bergara Premier Approach. This thing is stupid accurate with factory Hornady ammo. I came from the factory shooting .4s. I don't know how to properly measure groups, but I fired 3 rounds at 100 yards two weeks ago, and they were all on top of each other.

Hammsolo

My brother has a Bergara in 6.5 prc and loves it. He’s only had it about a year though. I’m going to wait a few years to see what sticks, but I think the 7 is medicine I would dose. I don’t have anything in that caliber currently. 😉

std7mag

If your thinking on the 7mm PRC, i'd wait a little while.
The freebore is designed for a 180gr Berger. AKA if your planning on shooting lighter, it'll have a long freebore.
Or you could custom order a reamer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porteur