Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Powder change

6speed

I'm debating switching from FFF to a new powder but my fun little hammer gun only has a 22" barrel. Any chance I will see an increase in performance? Or would I only be saving a little cleaning time by switching?

You will save on cleaning time. I switched to Triple 7 several years ago and so far it has done well. I think you will get every bit as good of velocity with it as with FFF and I don't think that it is quite as moisture sensitive. I would not use the pellets, though, as it appears from my experience that they deteriorate with age. The overall consistency with the loose powder is better, too.

I have also heard some good things about some of the other new powders, but have not tried them. I would stay away from Pyrodex, as it is the only powder that has given me ignition issues. I get the same velocities with 90 grains of 777 as I did with 120 grains of Pyrodex.

Hammer guns is what muzzle loading is suppose to be about.

Thanks. I can't hunt with pellets anyway so its never been a consideratin but I think I will pick up a can. Now I just have to decide if I want to try one of the solid copper bullets for elk or stick with lead.

If you can use sabots, the Barnes bullets are great. I prefer the big chunks of lead on elk, but many like the sabots. I have never used a sabot on anything but deer. Some like the Power Belt type of bullet. I have had them perform poorly on deer, but they are easy to load and shoot well.

At the advice of Tony Smotherman from CVA and also the show Travelin Hunter I am switching over to Blackhorn Powder. Anxious to see how it works. I've had poor results with 777 and Pyrodex pellets both.

Idaho hunt this year but not with the coppers its lead only no pellets open sights and no primers for ignition. I'm just figuring if I get back into it I may look at increasing my range and looking at other states with good ML odds.

I know a guy who says FFFF is the only way to go in short barrels and pistols but I thought it was basically flint lock pan powder. Anyone ever tried it?

Last edited:
At the advice of Tony Smotherman from CVA and also the show Travelin Hunter I am switching over to Blackhorn Powder. Anxious to see how it works. I've had poor results with 777 and Pyrodex pellets both.

My experience is that pellets just aren't that great, no matter what brand. The Blackhorn Powder may be a good choice.

I have known people that used 4F black powder and liked it, but it is generally considered flintlock primer. I would lighten the load a bit at first if you try it.

Ive had good performance with 777 ff,,,i believe 777 also makes it in fff but am not sure,,,be aware that blackhorn powder may not be legal in all states,,check your regs to be sure.

Back