POW fly-in hunt (pictures and everything)

View attachment 111450

Honestly I can’t believe people don’t keep their bear meat. This bear loin from my POW bear is probably the best wild game meat I’ve eaten full stop.

Sadly this is the last of that bear, can’t wait to go back up and get some more.
Is trichinosis a big issue in bears from the NW? In NY, you automatically get a bear tag when you buy a deer tag, but one of the things that has kept me from having any interest in hunting them is that the rates of infection with trichinosis are VERY high here and I don't like well-done meat.

Great story, love visiting POW. I’ve been there many times, never more then a couple w/o rain.
Those Beavers are amazing planes aren’t they?

Is trichinosis a big issue in bears from the NW? In NY, you automatically get a bear tag when you buy a deer tag, but one of the things that has kept me from having any interest in hunting them is that the rates of infection with trichinosis are VERY high here and I don't like well-done meat.
Yes the rate is very high... I think like 100% bears over 9 years old.

Sous vide, 138-140 degrees 😉

Last edited:
I actually rented this from my transporter... it's a mercury inflatable, though several companies make them. The entire boat + motor + gas fit in the plane with us. I definitely recommend that rout over aluminum boats if possible.

It wouldn't work in the context of this hunt, because you need a motor, @AlpackaRaft makes light weight inflatables that are perfect for rivers, lakes, etc. where you can paddle. The fold up very small, can be packed in per the name, or flown with.
Which transporter did you go with? I’m glad to know that is an option. How much did it cost to rent? Could 3 guys fit in it/fit in a plane with it? I do think the alpackarafts are awesome but yes, a motor is sure nice. Thanks for the info!

Which transporter did you go with? I’m glad to know that is an option. How much did it cost to rent? Could 3 guys fit in it/fit in a plane with it? I do think the alpackarafts are awesome but yes, a motor is sure nice. Thanks for the info!

I think all in including airfare to AK, and tag it was like $2500 a person.

You can fit three passengers + gear in a plane... but it depends on how big the passengers are, how much and weight of gear. It also is all at the discretion of the pilot, your best bet is to discuss logistics and cost with your transporter.

It’s really easy to get yourself into a nasty pickle out there so transporters are going to feel you out a bit before they agree to take you out on this kinda hunt. Don’t get offended if they start off a bit skeptical. I’ve talked to a bunch of different transporters about hunts in AK and it seems to be the norm.

What a great trip! you guys really lucked out on the weather. Congrats on your bear; beautiful. By the way that 3rd pic from the last; that's a bruiser bear. A tank!

Great rundown and pics, now you get to repay the knowledge you gained by answering all the new questions! I'm planning a spring 22 hunt with some friends now and will be scouring all the SE AK bear threads in the coming months.

Great rundown and pics, now you get to repay the knowledge you gained by answering all the new questions! I'm planning a spring 22 hunt with some friends now and will be scouring all the SE AK bear threads in the coming months.
First... good luck drawing the tag.

First... good luck drawing the tag.
Thanks, I'm actually an Alaska resident so I can get the tag OTC, I was stationed/lived in the interior (Fairbanks) for 8 years, I maintained my residency and plan on retiring up there when Im done with the Army. I've hunted coastal areas around Seward and Valdez but never made it down to the SE. My buddies are putting in for the draw this fall and hopefully get drawn, I'd like to plan another hunt in a few years during fall to try and double up on blacktail and bear.

Reactions: LCH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back