Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Awesome recap man. Looks like a great time. The SE Alaskan understory is in a league of it's own, isn't it?

Awesome recap man. Looks like a great time. The SE Alaskan understory is in a league of it's own, isn't it?

It's Unreal... definitely want to go back for a black-tail and fight my way up to the alpine. One of the coolest places I've been lucky enough to hunt.

Also biggest gear take away of the trip... load what you think are the right amount of brews... then double it.

It's Unreal... definitely want to go back for a black-tail and fight my way up to the alpine. One of the coolest places I've been lucky enough to hunt.

Also biggest gear take away of the trip... load what you think are the right amount of brews... then double it.

When I was in college, I spent a summer in SE AK working for the Forest Service as a timber cruiser. We spent every day in that crap. One weekend, a couple of coworkers and I decided to hike into an alpine lake that was rumored to have grayling in it. We drove in to our bushwhack point, and took off up the mountain. I foolishly believed once we left the timber life would become easier. We hit a band of some sort of berry bush that was intermixed with thickets of Devil's Club. It was nearly impenetrable, and the next 500 feet of elevation were unforgettable. On the flip side, once we hit true alpine, the sailing was smooth. We saw an incredible number of good black bears, and a couple of nice blacktail bucks.

When I was in college, I spent a summer in SE AK working for the Forest Service as a timber cruiser. We spent every day in that crap. One weekend, a couple of coworkers and I decided to hike into an alpine lake that was rumored to have grayling in it. We drove in to our bushwhack point, and took off up the mountain. I foolishly believed once we left the timber life would become easier. We hit a band of some sort of berry bush that was intermixed with thickets of Devil's Club. It was nearly impenetrable, and the next 500 feet of elevation were unforgettable. On the flip side, once we hit true alpine, the sailing was smooth. We saw an incredible number of good black bears, and a couple of nice blacktail bucks.

How was the fishing though?

Badass trip, thanks for sharing. Looks like you got pretty decent weather. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would to rate the various aspects of the trip (you pick which aspects you want)?

Awesome I love SE AK such an awesome place. Gotta love you some devils club. I had the fun of falling off a log into a whole patch of it.
Beautiful bear

That's awesome! Looks like a hell of a trip. Very well done.

Badass trip, thanks for sharing. Looks like you got pretty decent weather. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would to rate the various aspects of the trip (you pick which aspects you want)?

Bears -10
Fishing -4 (user error)
Weather -11 (who goes to SE for a 9 days and doesn't get a drop of rain)
Devils Club - 7 (perfect amount of pokey)
Transporter - 9
TSA - 2 (lost my rifle coming home, spent 15 min checking my case in (yes I timed them) pulled out rifle, ammo, cameras, etc. put each layer of foam in separately, and hand checked all the foam for ???)
Gear-8 (pretty much had everything we needed, could have paired it back a bit)
Tides- 3 (got hosed one day and missed a morning of hunting due to being stranded
Beer selection -8.5
Beers per day per person - 3 (see previous comment)

Also... had a bit of BigFin motor luck... those damn things run on black magic and just don't respond well to being bounced around in planes. We got everything squared away on the first day... but not without 90 min of tinkering.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. That last bear to visit while you were packing up camp looks like a pretty good one. I guess it's like they say, the only way to shoot a giant bear on the last day is to not shoot a big one earlier in the trip.

Congrats.

I'm been wanting to do a trip like this for a while, not sure I would do bear, but something in SE AK. What gear did you bring and what do you think you could have done without? What's the backstory on the fishing only being a 4? What ended up being wrong with the motor? Sorry lots of Qs

Awesome adventure! Congrats!! Would you say this type of trip is best done with 1 shooter and one observer? You obviously saw enough bears for 2 shooters to harvest. Probably not a 3 guy type trip based on the size of your boat and plane?

Back