Caribou Gear

Possible Upgrade to Mystery Ranch Day Pack

WyoDoug

I am looking to get a day pack a bit bigger than the two I got that actually has an external pack frame. The one I am considering buying is this:

I do not need a huge pack as all I ever do is day hunts get back to vehicle and back to base camp each night.

Anyone use this pack? What do you think of it?

I have a popup 18 and its a pretty awesome pack. I'm sure the 38 is just as good and will carry any load you want to carry and it will carry it well.

I am going to get about 30% off by going through the military BX page to get to this site plus I have one of those frequent buyer memberships so I will get it for less than 300.00 which is not a bad price for good day packs.

I have the same application you are describing for one of my hunts. If I didn't already have a MR Sawtooth 45 I would likely choose the pop up 38.

I have the 28 and love it. My only complaint is that it has no internal organization pouches. I recommend the dity bags they sell and then I hang them from the water bladder hook so everything doesn't drop to the bottom.

I am not that concerned about compartments because I bag everything in freezer bags anyways. I once fell into a creek where it was about 2 feet deep and soaked everything so since then, everything in the main part of the pack anyways gets bagged whether it needs it or not. I prefer no compartments and rely on bagging myself. Took a long time to warm up after falling in that creek too. Wonder what kind of words Randy's uncle would of said on camera if he did?

What I like about the 38 is you can pop the frame and make it a bit taller especially if yer packing 80 pounds of meat or so and balance it more on your hips and shoulders. Balances the load more so you are not putting it on your back. Thinking about the large. I am military retired and going to get a sizeable discount thanks to a lead I got in PM.

I have a Sawtooth 45 and really like it. I agree with I wish it had a few external pockets. You can go wrong either way.

Found a source for the pack and will be buying soon. Definitely MR 38, but now a question for those who own and use Mystery Ranch packs. What firearm carrying system do you use? Looking for one along the style that Randy uses in his videos. But kind of want one that can also be attached to the back or sides of the pack when yer done and just wanna head back to camp...or yer truck...or pony, whatever you got there with.

I either use a Kifaru or strap it directly to the pack.

Kifaru is the one I was looking at but kinda wanted one with a sort of dual use that can be attached to the side of the pack or the back when you are done hunting for the day. I may just buy a couple straps to do that. I always buy a bunch when I get a new pack anyways, need or not.

Going to donate my old packs to probably the scouts here or one of the schools.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back