Poll shows troops in support of war

ELKCHSR

Instead of asking our esteemed news media what they think, the questions were posed to those in the field as a whole, instead of looking for one or two turncoats. The results are at the bottom of the post... :)

Poll shows troops in support of war

By Robert Hodierne, Army Times

Despite a year of ferocious combat, mounting casualties and frequent deployments, support for the war in Iraq remains very high among the active-duty military, according to a Military Times Poll.

Sixty-three percent of respondents approve of the way President Bush is handling the war, and 60% remain convinced it is a war worth fighting. Support for the war is even greater among those who have served longest in the combat zone: Two-thirds of combat vets say the war is worth fighting.

But the men and women in uniform are under no illusions about how long they will be fighting in Iraq; nearly half say they expect to be there more than five years.

In addition, 87%% say they're satisfied with their jobs and, if given the choice today, only 25% say they'd leave the service.

Compared with last year, the percentages for support for the war and job satisfaction remain essentially unchanged.

A year ago, 77% said they thought the military was stretched too thin to be effective. This year, that number shrank to 66%.

The findings are part of the annual Military Times Poll, which this year included 1,423 active-duty subscribers to Air Force Times, Army Times, Navy Times and Marine Corps Times.

The subscribers were randomly surveyed by mail in late November and early December. The poll has a margin of error of +/-2.6%.

Among the poll's other findings:

• 75% oppose a military draft.

• 60% blame Congress for the shortage of body armor in the combat zone.

• 12% say civilian Pentagon policymakers should be held accountable for abuse at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

We live near Ft Lewis, which is one of the larger Army bases... There is a lot of support here for our troops, over 75% of my renters and Homeowners are also military or retired military and I have not heard one person opposed to the war... When you drive up I-5 you see yellow ribbons across freeway bridges.....

There is a Huge support for our military where I live and I Completely support the Military. Yeah I wish we could start pulling troops out, and Like Moosie said in the other post, I love Bush's "get er Done" approach, but we have to be patient and help Iraq build it self up again. I am looking forward to seeing what that country will become! hump hump

As additional information, I watched " Leno" last week, and his audience was made up entirely of the military services. In his monologue he cracked a couple of jokes about Rumsfield that were negative, and the audience got all over his ass! He made some lame comment about a hostile audience and moved on real quick. It was apparent that their reaction shook him up pretty good.
In addition to supporting the war and Bush, it's obvious that they support Rumsfield.

If you read the whole story, it goes on to explain that Military Times' readership is generally higher rank and more senior personnel, not necessarily a representative sample of the military, and certainly not of the kids getting shot.

And the General population is now something like 56% against.

Not a good trend.

It's a conspiracy..... Sometimes the wolves even fly them Black Helicopters you see circling your house
And any poll you put up is actually made up of a little bit of every one?
At least in this one, it was "Only" military that was asked and it was stated as such.
Not one that is perported as a little bit of every one and in reality only taken inside of a collage campus some where inside of Southern California.... ;)

WHOC,

Last time WH was posting on this forum, he came across as a bit of a lefty. You must be learning him the RIGHT side! Too funny. Usually the chicks are the libs! Keep it up.

ELKCHSR said:
Not one that is perported as a little bit of every one and in reality only taken inside of a collage campus some where inside of Southern California.... ;)

In So. Cal? That makes the whole poll even more suspect to know that it was taken in Orange County and San Diego.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back